110v or 220v single phase

I did not know this.
So is it safe to say that balancing the actual loads at the panel would result in a more accurate consumption profile?
Say in your example 60A + 45A = 105A total draw from both legs.
If the loads were distributed evenly across both legs, the theoretical the draw would be 52.5A for each leg.

Yes, but in practice it's really difficult to achieve that. There's almost always going to be one leg more loaded. If you have loads that are always on, try to split them between sides. But heavy loads are almost always 220 anyway, so it doesn't end up being a big imbalance for most people.

I didn't know that either. i thought the meter kept track of total watts used from both legs and didn't care about which leg you're on.

Now, I will give an answer to the question not asked. Power companies deliver 220 to your home. It gets split into two legs of 110v. The power company charges you for whichever leg has the greatest current figure. i.e. If you have one leg drawing 45 amps, and another leg drawing 60 amps, you get charged based on 60 amps, and not 45 (it is the way the meters are intentionally constructed). So, if given a chance to put all your loads on 220v as versus 110v, your electric bill will be less. For most of us hobby folks, we don't run them enough hours in a day to make a difference.

Every meter that I have seen in the past 40+ years has two separate coils, one for each leg. They effectively measure current in both legs, there is no financial advantage to using 220V because of metering. When drawing 20amps from both legs, the meter will "spin" twice as fast as drawing 20amps from just one leg.

Given the same size wire there is an advantage for 220V because of voltage drop. The current using 220 is half what is required for 110V. With less current you have less voltage drop in the wires. The voltage drop in the wires just turns into wasted heat (and lower voltage for the motor). You are paying the electric utility for generating the wasted heat. For small motors the convenience of 110V probably outweighs the advantages of 220V.

I am glad the newer meters are smarter... Back when I looked at them, they weren't. Companies sold "load balancing boxes" which would automatically switch the leg the breakers were on to achieve as close to perfect balance as possible.

It is a good thing that this is no longer the case. I guess my age is showing.

With my shop being and older wood frame house I like the 220 volt idea just simply because of the lower heat factor. Now for the Whaat ? part of my power bill; the power company has installed a devise on my transformer pole that reads the meters for 7 homes with in a mile (possibly more further away) and sends the information to the computers in the office. My meter had been sending the power usage back to the office for several years but technology marches on.
Have a good day
Ray

thanks for all the input.. I decided just to leave it at 110v since it doesn't get used often and if i need to roll it out (mounted to a base with casters) for a bigger project power wont be a problem.

Back