1127 gearbox question

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There's a label saying not to "remove" when running at high speed. I'm assuming that means rotate or move... What would be a "high speed" though? I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage the gears prematurely.

To me, high speed is any speed turning more than 1 RPM. There's a reason why they put that label there, so why would you question it?

I have the pm1030 and the gearbox is very similar to yours. Mine also has the same warning. I have found that trying to shift the gears while the lathe is stopped is nearly impossible. It often doesn’t mesh correctly and will pop into the neutral space in between the settings. My method has been to have the lathe running and turn down to the lowest RPM possible. Then shift between gears. It takes some feel to get it in gear. Similar to a non synchro mesh transmission on a vehicle. I have yet to have an issue doing it this way and have never heard any grinding while doing it.

Thanks for the input guys. I noticed the same thing with the gears not meshing when stopped. I have been turning the chuck by hand and that gets it in gear easily. I also tried shifting while on, but at the lowest speed. Also worked fine.

The question was because it would have been easy to say something like ">500RPM" or "while running" rather than "high speed" which is vague at best. Of course, one would not "remove" the knobs either, so it is what it is. :)

It’s Chinglish

I usual move the shifter just before the lathe comes to a stop. I get the best engagement at that point, otherwise have to turn the spindle a bit to get the teeth to mesh.

The gears on my lathe are expensive to replace so I shift gears while turning the chuck by hand. This is the first time I've seen a recommendation to shift while under power. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I had a Weiss WBL290F which is pretty much the same as the PM 1127. I found shifting between ABC on the QCGB while stopped and manually rotating the chuck to be very difficult. The operator manual stated you can change positions under 500 rpm which I found to work best on this lathe.

IMG_20171215_134254368.jpg

Back