1144 Stressproof

Stressproof is wonderful stuff for many purposes, especially for precision screws and shafts with long keyways, where ordinary materials tend to warp. Do not use it for shafts subject to high repeated torque loading (shock loading), as it will come apart in a fiberous fracture lengthwise.

Ran a job in 4340 normalized stock yesterday, nice finish but chip control was problematic at best.
As mentioned 1144 turns and chips well, slightly more expensive then 1018 but if you have to make time with a finish requirement it is well worth the cost.

What would be equivalent but in square or rectangle shape? 4142?

What would be equivalent but in square or rectangle shape? 4142?
Yep! Not quite the same strength wise but probably close enough for us H-M. Some places may carry 1040/45 in hex which could be another possible choice. Depending on how long the hex needs to be, order stock big enough to cut a hex on.

I turned at ~375 RPM with .0025/rev feed rate for roughing. Sped it up (750 rpm) for final cuts with a .00012/rev feed rate. I use a water soluble oil which really absorbs heat well so no problems there. Used an Arthur Warner HSS insert. 11 +degree relief angle and also a 1/16" radius. Maybe I'll try less radius like Mike next time.
what diameter are you turn at the 375rpm?

Back