12-20 Tap Can You make One?

mwebster51

Registered
Registered
Hi guys. Do any of you have the ability to make a 12-20 tap HSS. It was a thread used in the old Stanley planes. I have not been able to find a retailer who sells or has any in stock.
If you can make one do you have any idea what it would cost to make a few?
Thanks

I googled 12-20 tap and got buried with results.

I bought that one on ebay about an hour ago. That was the last one and it is apparently used. I need to find some more for back up.

After a few minutes of searching, I see what you mean... seems like a lot of demand from folks restoring planes, but little to no supply anywhere.

I suppose you're just chasing out existing threads, and not cutting brand new threads, correct?

If that's the case, seems like a reasonably easy job using some prehard 4140 steel or something like that.

Shoot me over $20 and your recommendation for a good 6-pack of beer and I can give it a shot for ya. They'd be good for chasing existing threads, and certainly wouldn't last as long as a commercial tap. But I could make a few; I think I've got some 4140 lying around.

Normally I would be chasing the existing thread. I crumbled the two taps today though. I was making a screw tree I use to bead blast screws for the old Stanleys I refurbish. So could occasionally use the taps for "mild" steel. Here is the screw tree. It has other thread on it but 3 of them were the 12-20. I will PM you my email maybe we can work something out. I do like my beer :)

Attachments

• IMG_9244.jpeg
    IMG_9244.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 46
Back