12-20 Tap Can You make One?

I appreciate your point. The thing is... the tap you are referring to is at Grainger is 1/2-20. I have been trying to get a #12-20. It is not a size I have found being made in the US with the exception of sporatic production by companies like St James Bay.. and I am not 100% sure he makes it in house. I try to buy American made when I can.

I just looked up Grangier #4AKK9, unfortunately that comes up as a Widia/Greenfield 1/2"-20, not #12-20. I remember searching for #12-20 taps & dies when this came up before (again not sure if it was here or on another forum). Looks like it's one of those thread sizes that are obselete & no longer used these days.

Well, my response to that is to open mouth and insert foot. Shoulda known it wouldn't be that easy.

Mw, I'm sure you thought of this already but there are plenty of companies that will make specialty/custom taps. I'm sure you might have already thought it would be very expensive as I too would think but have you tried getting a quote just for the heck of it?

Regal who is a reputable tap manufacturer has a quote request form on their website. If you do get a quote, please share, I'm curious too.

Yes I have gotten a quote from Tapco for a custom. It is pretty pricy even with purchasing 8-10 taps. Thanks for the Regal link. I will check them out as well. I think I have a few taps coming my way at this point so I am good. But then I will likely eventually need replacements. I appreciate everyones input!

Out of curiosity, what did the custom grind end up costing/quoting? Was there a quantity break point where the setup fees diminish as number goes up?

The #12-20 HS 1"OD Die ( 3-4 weeks to make dies
1pc @ 146.90 , 2pc 111.80ea, 3pc 83.20ea, 6pc 62.40ea, 12pc 57.20ea

#12-20 Taps
9-11pc 36.38 ea
12pc 28.20ea
2-3 days to mfg taps

The #12-20 HS 1"OD Die ( 3-4 weeks to make dies
1pc @ 146.90 , 2pc 111.80ea, 3pc 83.20ea, 6pc 62.40ea, 12pc 57.20ea

#12-20 Taps
9-11pc 36.38 ea
12pc 28.20ea
2-3 days to mfg taps
The quote for the taps shows for 9-11pc $36.38 which isn't terrible but I don't know what 1 or 2 would cost unless I ask again.

If they were much less for those quanities I'd probably consider it to sell off the extras considering people seem to look for them & no one really has them. But at almost $40 ea, wouldn't be easy to sell & not much room to make any profit to pay for your time.

It sounds like you may be on your way to getting some taps, but if not, I'd offer to heat treat some homemade ones. I dont have the time to make the tap itself, but if someone made them from tool steel and sent them my way, I could heat treat them and send to you. Not the best option, but maybe a last resort.

Back