12" Craftsman Industrial Lathe-- NOS

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
That lathe is identical to the Atlas taking up space in my garage . $4000 ? Ouch !

kb58

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Those look like two different lathes.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Looks like a before and after doesn't it ?

Superburban

A lot of wear, and rust for a new machine that he had to spend many hours removing the cosmoline.
"That being said, it still took considerable work to remove 40 years of old cosmoline, light surface rust, and accumulated debris. "

00s0s_kEwoJzPSZGb_1200x900.jpg00W0W_cDMOOrsdDKp_1200x900.jpg00P0P_cjbr8Pk5J86_1200x900.jpg

Oops, red flag. "Since I restore Old American Iron "

That rust on the cabinet, concerns me. Indicative of being out doors a lot, or in a flood. $4K, no way. I have looked at the same model in much better shape, for less then half that. Why do these sellers not show everything, whats in the boxes?

kb58

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
That's my point,.that for a machine brand new, it's rather used looking. That "surface rust" at the bottom looks more serious than claimed, so it may not have been stored well, which certainly counts for something claimed as new. I'm also surprised that he'd show it cutting metal. I mean, if you found a zero-miles Ford Mustang in a garage and wanted to sell it, posting a picture of driving it down the freeway isn't increasing its value. Oh well, it's still a great find, though the asking price is a bit wishful, especially since it's now used!

ELHEAD

Active User
That lathe is identical to the Atlas taking up space in my garage . $4000 ? Ouch !
Looks exactly like the one I make a lot of things with. Only about 5 times my investment and less than 1/4 the tooling.
Dave

vocatexas

Registered
Being in the Houston area, it could have been exposed to flood waters, or the rust could just be from the high humidity Houston is known for.

Nogoingback

Those look like two different lathes.

That's because he's repainted the bed and the rusty cabinet to make it appear more like a "new" lathe. That's OK, but
it sort of undermines his story.

He must have a cousin in my area: guy's trying to sell a repainted 11" Logan for $4700.00, and he doesn't even claim
that it's new.

Choiliefan

Registered
Here's a South Bend 11 for $7000:

Illinoyance

That metallic blue is WAY wrong on a machine tool. Otherwise it is a commendable refurb.