#12 gib question

Jim Huel

Registered
Registered
Assuming I can get dimensions, I am wondering about how much it might cost me to have a gib made for x axis? I'm sure there is a lot of variation, but I'm looking for a rough idea.

Thanks

Jim

Make it yourself and then the only cost is the metal. And you learned something...

Edit: Even if you buy a used gib, or even a new one, you are still going to need to make it fit your machine correctly. And you will learn something...

On this 12, the table moves all over the place when it is cranked. A bit like a snake coming at you. I'll look closer when I see it this weekend. I don't have it yet. But i am wondering if the gib is missing completely. If so, I won't have the equipment to make one. I could maybe lock the x axis and move Y, but guessing that wont give enough travel?

But, I'd love to try if you have a suggestion

If it is missing completely you are kind of stuck getting a new one. But chances are it is either out of adjustment or in really bad shape. My vote goes to being badly out of adjustment. Used for years and never adjusted, you would be surprised how many machines receive that treatment.

Even if the gib is missing, the empty space that it fits into can be measured/gaged to get a rough but close idea of the dimensions, then cut the metal a bit oversize in all directions (more with length,) and then get busy removing material from the rough gib after marking up the parts with ink used for scraping. Remove metal from the gib where the ink is transferred, and then repeat, Anyone making a gib fit will need to have continuous access to the void for measuring and testing as the work progresses. A gib is not really something you can call on the phone and order, unless somebody makes gibs to roughly fit your Van Norman machine (I think that is quite unlikely), and the gib would still need to be custom fit to the existing void.

Even if the gib is missing, the empty space that it fits into can be measured/gaged to get a rough but close idea of the dimensions, then cut the metal a bit oversize in all directions (more with length,) and then get busy removing material from the rough gib after marking up the parts with ink used for scraping. Remove metal from the gib where the ink is transferred, and then repeat, Anyone making a gib fit will need to have continuous access to the void for measuring and testing as the work progresses. A gib is not really something you can call on the phone and order, unless somebody makes gibs to roughly fit your Van Norman machine (I think that is quite unlikely), and the gib would still need to be custom fit to the existing void.
Ok, interesting. I was assuming gibs were made to some drawing, and fit was achieved by adjusting after installation. Were gibs fitted on new machines also, or is fitting required because of wear?

Thanks for the input.

They always have gibs. The gibs were designed with a screw in the end to take up wear that normally occurs as the machine is used over time. Note, the gib wears along with the dovetail it sits in. More wear usually in the center, where all the machining actin occurs. So a clapped out machine often has excessive, uneven wear in the track and in the gib. Out of adjustment is one likely scenario. However the other scenarios are worse: 1) it’s missing altogether, causing the excessive play in the bed, or 2) it and the bed are worn out- not allowing proper contact between the gib and the bed it is supposed to control. Thus the whole machine could be a complete restoration job. (Remember, if one part has excessive wear, then every other part has the same, or related, wear. Which means- Be very cautious in buying this machine)

Back