VN #12 table locked up

Ulster Marine

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have a beautiful #12 that was made in 1952, and from the looks of it didn't see much use. I purchased it from a company that got it at auction from the Rock Island Armory. Anyway, as I was using it the other day the table got increasingly difficult to move, until I could no longer turn the hand wheel in either direction. Digging through the wealth of information here I determined that the backlash adjustment must have managed to tighten itself. Today I began removing the table and cleaning/inspection. This little machine is in AMAZING condition, no signs of wear on bearings, races, almost zero wear on the scraped surfaces. 20190416_175559.jpgOther than loosening the backlash lock nut to free the feed screw, and an expected amount of what was once lubricants, the only issue I found was the first 1/2 Acme thread is buggered on the outboard side of the backlash adjustment sleeve. 20190416_180757.jpgMy plan is to chuck the sleeve in my lathe and remove the damaged 1/2 thread, finish the cleaning, refill the gear sump, etc with fresh oil, reassemble and put it back in service.

Good plan. Most folks do not have a backlash adjustment to deal with, guessing that this one was set up too tight.

Good plan. Most folks do not have a backlash adjustment to deal with, guessing that this one was set up too tight.
I never had any issues with this machine until now. I've owned it since 2006 or 07. Didn't find any chips or debris that would have contributed to the problem. Still scratching my head as to how this happened.

UM, There should have been a threaded collar that locks the backlash nut in place. Was yours missing?

Ben, This is not the sort of automatic backlash eliminator which some large mills have, that allow you to do climb milling. It's an internally threaded nut that can be turned in to tighten up on the lead-screw.

UM, There should have been a threaded collar that locks the backlash nut in place. Was yours missing?

Ben, This is not the sort of automatic backlash eliminator which some large mills have, that allow you to do climb milling. It's an internally threaded nut that can be turned in to tighten up on the lead-screw.
Yes, the lock ring/nut was there, and took some effort to break loose. That freed up the feed screw.

Finished with the project of repairing the backlash adjustment sleeve, and cleaning, adjusting, and lubricating the table feed screw, drive assy, etc. Everything operates smoothly as it did 20 years ago. I learned a bit about servicing and adjusting my machine, and am more impressed than ever at how outstanding it is condition wise. Glad to have had the help of this forum and it's contributors.

Back