120v plug with locking mechanism

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Let me start by saying I don't want big bulky twist locks.
What I do want:
a standard 120v 3 prong plug setup with a simple lock. I found something, but it's not the standard 3 blade.

What I want to do.
I want to cut all my cords off my hand tools, and just have a small tail off each. That way I can have one cable hanging at some workstations and just unplug and re-plug a sander, router, etc. Just for hand tools not for machines.

Festool and Bosch both have something similar. I would like to declutter my sanding area, and other areas. What I found is not what I want, but I want something similar.

Here's something similar, and there are variants. But I would like a standard extension cord to be used if needed, so it needs to be a standard USA type 120v plug both male and female.

Hospital grade plugs & receptacles, while not locking, do have a much firmer grip. They are otherwise standard configuration.

Hospital grade plugs & receptacles, while not locking, do have a much firmer grip. They are otherwise standard configuration.
ok, that's sought of helpful, but then I went looking of where to purchase those. Cooper Electric Supply doesn't list it in there system for Leviton. I can't find a Eaton source either. Any website that appears to have them, requires a quote ...

There are a number of lock systems for extension cords but none of them are very compact. I wouldn't want some bulky device hanging from a short pigtail on a portable power tool. Doug Jackson of SV Seeker fame on YouTube did an evaluation of a number of locking devices for extension cords but for the life of me, I can't remember where in his series that was. Somewhere in the latter third, I believe.

There may be some audio or electronic connectors that would be suitable for your purpose,; at least for the fractional h.p. tools. You will want to pay strict attention to voltage and current rating.

There are a number of lock systems for extension cords but none of them are very compact. I wouldn't want some bulky device hanging from a short pigtail on a portable power tool. Doug Jackson of SV Seeker fame on YouTube did an evaluation of a number of locking devices for extension cords but for the life of me, I can't remember where in his series that was. Somewhere in the latter third, I believe.

There may be some audio or electronic connectors that would be suitable for your purpose,; at least for the fractional h.p. tools. You will want to pay strict attention to voltage and current rating.
looking to keep to a standard plug. That way I can directly plug into an extension cord if needed. And yes, I don't want a bulky connector. Its amazing to me how expensive even what I show in the link is.

I am not sure why Cooper doesn't list the Leviton products from the Leviton site, or the Eaton. I'll give a call tomorrow to see if I missed something in my search.

You don't have to lop the ends of your tool's power cords, I have ceiling receptacles in my basement shop, makes it easy to plug in anywhere, and have the power cord out of your way. If you have higher ceilings you can do power drops with receptacles on the end of a piece of SJ cord. Maybe a little more work but well worth it.

Let me start by saying I don't want big bulky twist locks.
What I do want:
a standard 120v 3 prong plug setup with a simple lock. I found something, but it's not the standard 3 blade.

What I want to do.
I want to cut all my cords off my hand tools, and just have a small tail off each. That way I can have one cable hanging at some workstations and just unplug and re-plug a sander, router, etc. Just for hand tools not for machines.

Festool and Bosch both have something similar. I would like to declutter my sanding area, and other areas. What I found is not what I want, but I want something similar.

Here's something similar, and there are variants. But I would like a standard extension cord to be used if needed, so it needs to be a standard USA type 120v plug both male and female.

Molded in connectors like the factory plugs on your power tools are hard to beat for size. How about disassembling the power tool and shortening the cord at the connection into the power tool?

thanks. Looks like the ends are way expensive. A single end (male) no female in the same type listed was 21.64.
Meanwhile way further down, I could by a 14ga extension cord (6ft) with both ends for 22.06.
Way more than I was hoping to pay, but it might be the way I go. Even the Tripplite that I referenced in the link was extremely expensive.

You don't have to lop the ends of your tool's power cords, I have ceiling receptacles in my basement shop, makes it easy to plug in anywhere, and have the power cord out of your way. If you have higher ceilings you can do power drops with receptacles on the end of a piece of SJ cord. Maybe a little more work but well worth it.
I thought of that, but I think lopping them is also the way to untangle the mess. Having one wire really would simplify. it would also allow me to have one vac hose with power cord attached for the tools that use that. Even my plate joiner (hardly use).. My circ saw (porter cable lefty) which uses the same hose as the sanders, and bosch tools just a different tip adapter. It would allow me to switch sanders really quickly. routers, etc.

Back