120v plug with locking mechanism

Molded in connectors like the factory plugs on your power tools are hard to beat for size. How about disassembling the power tool and shortening the cord at the connection into the power tool?
yes that what I would like to do, but I want it to not fall off. Hence the search for a locking one. The festool and bosch had nice connectors. I don't see bosch using it anymore on their tools. (cost maybe).. But for me it would really untangle the mess. There are many times I pull a tool from the shelf and another tool comes with it because of the tangled tools.
The extension cord (sure grip) kind of solves the problem, in that I get to use molded, just cut the cord and wire into the head of the tool.

If I can't get what I want for a reasonable price, then I will just cut the cord end off and remount to the head. But I would like something that doesn't want to come apart.

I just remembered I saw these a while back at a vendor I frequently use, Only $5.25 a piece.

too bulky. That's why I referenced something like my first link.
I was looking for a light but lockable setup.

the extension cord might work.. I don't know how it works that it's a tighter grip.. but I suspect most of the grip is in the female connector being very high pressure on the blades. But looking at the ground plug on the male, it's possible that some of the grip is related to that.

So I may try ordering the 6ft cord, and discovering if a regular male will hold tight with a sure grip female.
if it does, maybe the extension cord or 2 is all I need, but if they don't hold, then I will need a bunch of male plugs.

These are what I use for pigtail tool cords, snap on to either side of the plug.

1677117465916.png

it's a good idea, but with a sander, I think it would get hooked on something where the plungers are coming out.
And they are weighty, so they would probably drag.

Before shop was built we placed outlets overhead.

Works well.

Here is option.

Buy good quality SHORT extension cords with 16 x 3 max wire size for outdoor use.

Look for the smaller size female end that has good fit.

Install overhead outlets above the work area along the sides of the work surface and add some eye bolts next to them.

Plug cord in and coil extra or cut to length and add male, length to be just inches above work surface or long enough to rest horizontal.

Attach to eye bolt with wire tie.

On your tools...

Look at the blades on the plug.

If solid you can grab end with one pliers and with a needle nose slightly twist the blade insuring the ends are still parallel.

If it is a bent metal type you can use a sharp knife to open it up a bit.

These steps make the plug more "sticky" and less likely to fall out.

Now the length of the factory cord combined with the drop length gives plenty of room with staying somewhat neat.

NO need for locking, better to allow to separate to reduce trip or tangle hazards.

If it locks then something can break or get hurt.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Had an extention cord once with a built in plug “lock”. Seemed like a good idea to not be able to pull it apart when I moved the tool. Roughly the size of a standard 3 prong plug extension cord end. You’d flip a little lever on the plug housing and it would put a little pin through the holes on the prongs. Was a Noma brand and looked similar to this:

FAEAC8A2-926D-4019-ADE0-07FA6D4A76FD.jpeg

It lasted about a week before it drove me insane. I grabbed a hatchet and chopped it off with one clean stroke while screaming my best war cry. Destroying it was a waste of money, but man did it feel good!

It was a major pita. Sometimes it wouldn’t lock, but more aggravating was it very often wouldn’t unlock the plug and you’d end up pulling at it and cursing at it until it would finally let go and it was never a short evolution.

Never again.

Just something to consider…..

Last edited:
Ok, so maybe Randal and Jim are onto something, and gave me an idea. So I went looking for things that hold cords together. I knew I would not find a super light weight narrow tool, but was looking for some ideas. I found one that makes a lot of sense, but not the way they pulled it off. They did it to make it easy without mods.
so I found this:
cord_connector_2-600x450.jpg
this thing is too cumbersome to do, but if I use self adhesive loop on each tool end (male connector) and attach the hook as a tail to the female extension cord, it's just a matter of using regular plugs and putting the hook on the male end to hold them together. If I do the top side of the male plug, then it won't grab on anything below and should be enough to hold them together. And if not, I'll move up to industrial hook and loop.

BTW my cords while in use hang from overhead on a bungee with the vac hose, so it moves with me. So while not plugged in from above, it's already draped from the wall and scoots up on two bungees...

Back