120v plug with locking mechanism

Is this an option or no? Neutrik power connectors; not bulky, but its not a standard NEMA 5-15P. It can be connected/disconnected while live. 20amp IIRC.

I nipped the cords on a bunch of my smaller hand tools and sanding tools (Dremels, belt/palm sanders, etc...). Made a few extension cords of varying lengths and a couple short pigtail adapters. No knots of cords when storing tools, get to ditch the junk PVC cords with flexy rubber, positive connection, and gives me an excuse for why I can't lend out my power tools.

Its also great for dust collection setups: marry an extension cord with a vac hose and you've got a convenient, tidy, 1pc setup.

PXL_20230224_022258556.jpg

PXL_20230224_022323023.jpg

@keeena yea, that's pretty close except it's not standard.. But that's close to the idea. Not too pricey.
I'm going to give my idea a try.. If it doesn't work, those are pretty close to fitting the requirements. They are narrow, don't look like they will hang up on anything.

edit: oh that price was from the UK w/out shipping. they are a little pricey.. Ok, Mouser has them reasonably. Others are double their price.

Last edited:
@woodchucker I believe these people have what you want. About 30 years ago a Canadian company patented a cord locking system that was the normal extension cord plug size. It was so strong, you could haul a hammer drill up a ladder.... by the cord. (not a good idea BTW).

These guys make plugs that use the same mechanism:

I see they no longer offer locking connectors, but want to make you the cords instead. sigh.

I'm not seeing anything there @Dabbler that looks like what I want. The closest I see is what I found originally in a locking connector. By comparison to what Keeena found, they were much more $$$$.

I think you could try velcro. Or duct tape. Not ideal but I doubt you’ll find a perfect solution

@woodchucker The domestic ones here were also very expensive. I bought one, at I think 40$. The locking cable guys were the only ones i know that use the same lock. The connector was rated at 80lbs (!!). I'm sure original guys are out of business now. Just too expensive to make, and too small a market.

An alternative is is to make a board or plate that will put a bend in the cable of about 90 degrees with a hole for each wire. So any pull on the wire has to overcome the friction of the bend. I'll try to sketch something out this afternoon if you are interested.

@woodchucker The domestic ones here were also very expensive. I bought one, at I think 40$. The locking cable guys were the only ones i know that use the same lock. The connector was rated at 80lbs (!!). I'm sure original guys are out of business now. Just too expensive to make, and too small a market.

An alternative is is to make a board or plate that will put a bend in the cable of about 90 degrees with a hole for each wire. So any pull on the wire has to overcome the friction of the bend. I'll try to sketch something out this afternoon if you are interested.
Not at this time. I am going to try the simple velcro solution. I am in the middle of painting some shelves for my son... So I hope to get to it later tonight to try one of my sanders.

well, I decided to modify one of the sanders.. and I can't find my crimp connectors in that size. I know I have them, just don't know where they are right now. I have larger , but they won't fit on the brush holder, or the barrel crimp that goes inside the switch. I can tin the switch wire, but can't fit the brush holder. What's funny is they are always laying around being pushed from place to place when I don't need them... I might take a look at the bosch next.

Here's the thing you want: a locking female socket:

Locking Extension Cords, 25 Feet Long, Yellow

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back