1236 Operational Questions

While small(er) 110v hobby lathes and mills have switches and cords on them when bought, I've not seen a 220v machine ever come with a cord. Probably because installation for said machines varies depending on if it's going into a manufacturing/commercial site, or if it's being hard-wired, or what type of plug will be used, etc.. If I were in that position, I wouldn't be shipping a cord/plug with the machines either. :)

220V appliances usually don't come with cords either. They claim it is because of the various plug types in use, no common standard. So I wouldn't be surprised that a shop tool doesn't. I would think a switch would be included, but perhaps they expect that if you want one, you can add one easily enough, and you already have to deal with the wiring, so they have a point... :)

Somewhere on PM's site it specifically says (a cursory search just now did not yield the exact spot) that the 1236 and larger lathes are all built for full time use. They also warn against using the 1228 lathe I bought full time. If memory serves it is because the 1236 and larger have hardened gears in both the drive train and QC gearbox.

Long way around to say I am not surprised there is no power switch; one would expect a disconnect nearby in most commercial shops.

You could mount one of these in a modest enclosure at the back of the lathe.

1513188495236.png

Somewhere on PM's site it specifically says (a cursory search just now did not yield the exact spot) that the 1236 and larger lathes are all built for full time use. They also warn against using the 1228 lathe I bought full time. If memory serves it is because the 1236 and larger have hardened gears in both the drive train and QC gearbox.

Long way around to say I am not surprised there is no power switch; one would expect a disconnect nearby in most commercial shops.
That said,
I'm buying one hell of a toy!
I don't plan on doing much of anything but fooling around in my retirement years soon to come. It should last me the rest of my life...
I guess the 1st thing to tinker with will be a master power switch.

I hard wired mine into a single breaker box mounted to the wall at the end of the lathe, within reach of the controls. Gets turned off if I walk away from the machine
6DFA77AB-CCD0-4AB4-8E1A-AEF8304C2794.jpeg

I would rather had that disconnect but HD didn’t have one and I didn’t feel like going Lowes.

For my baby lathe I hardwired it from the breaker box (Home Depot) through a switch to the 2 to 3 phase inverter to the 3 phase 1HP motor. Everything is well grounded. When I turn off the lathe there is still power to the system unless I purposefully shut it down at the breaker box. Usually only at the end of the day.

9EE04316-EB51-4F32-8DC9-ED607A1B8519.jpeg

My King 12 x 36 lathe had the same system, ie the light would stay on when I turned the power switch to off. I rewired it so that the light goes out when I turn the switch off. I like having the visual confirmation that the lathe can't run, If I'm changing chucks or gears for metric threading. If I go into the control panel I just unplug the lathe from the wall plug.

Back