1236 Questions

The height of the stand by itself from the bottom to the floor of the chip pan is 26 inches. The base I built adds about another 4". Im 6 feet tall and the height of the bed is sufficient for me, though if it was a little higher, that would be fine.

One thing to consider about using the tool box as a stand: the lip. The chip pan's lip is 1" tall and the gear cover hangs over it and beyond about a half inch. The cover will have to be able to clear the lip so you will be able to take it off and put it on when you need to.

I'm really enjoying this thread about "you really need a 16X60 in order to turn satisfactory hinge pins".
I owned, and used, a 9x20 for 10 years. I was able to do some very good work with it--after quite a bit of TLC & several mods.
I drive a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup. It will not carry as much as a PB, or KW, but I don't expect it to.
While in Alaska, I carried a Remington rifle for all my hunting needs. There were some who espoused that a PRE-64 Winchester was the only way to go--shoots straighter, kills deader, lasts longer, weighs less, etc ad nauseum. The moose never knew the difference.
But I digress.
Buy the lathe (or any other tool) that you want, and that you can afford, and move on down the highway of life. The remaining years go by too quickly to worry about what could have, should have, or might have been.

Jerry in LSD (Lower Slower Delaware)

Nobody is saying that, maybe you should consider editing your post. Some are saying "since you asked this was my 12x36 experience for what its worth".

Wow Duker... you sure like big stuff, ha. Looking great. I'll be following that thread just to see the final results. The pics do show the HF 72" cabinet... didn't realize there was a hutch available for it. I would like to go that route for the looks, durability and storage but the cost is a bit much for me, even after the sale price and a 20% off coupon. I'll probably end up building something instead.

I agree Muskt. The friend with a 9x20 made a couple different size steel cannons with wood carriages and brass trim. He likes what he does, is very meticulous, takes his time and they look great. Same here... retired and plan to use my lathe for personal use only. I see it as being fun and expanding my interest in fabricating stuff for the house, custom car and two motorcycles. Can't wait!

Thanks Morgan. I'm only 5'7" so I need to consider that anything I do with the stand could make it too high for me. Might be better off just building a stand out of square or rectangular tubing. This way I can keep everything at the same height. I'll also go take a look at that Harbor Freight tool chest.

Thanks Morgan. I'm only 5'7" so I need to consider that anything I do with the stand could make it too high for me. Might be better off just building a stand out of square or rectangular tubing. This way I can keep everything at the same height. I'll also go take a look at that Harbor Freight tool chest.

I'm the same height and the G4003G is 4 inches too tall for me. Tip Grizzly lists the floor to lathe centerline height for their lathes in the specification PDF files on their web site if you wanted to get a sample of lathe floor to centerline heights. The G4003G is 46 inches plus 2 inches for the leveling pads puts it at 48. For me 44 would be a perfect height. I was all gung-ho to build my own stand then someone just suggested a common sense alternative, build a raised platform to stand on. If your lathe doesn't come with a stand I did spend a lot of time designing various custom stands for mine. The problem I ran into with one solid stand was how to weld that up without twist, my brother suggested there was some logic in the factory stand design of two separate stands one for the head stock and one for the tailstock. A much smaller area to fabricate flat and any twist could be dialed out with the leveling pads. Just throwing out some ideas for you.

Excellent coolidge... never thought of that. I'll do some research in the morning and give it more thought. Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies guys a couple of thoughts this is going in a garage not a workshop while it doesn't see a car it get used for a bunch of stuff. Size wise I think it will cover my needs, I will admit that the 30 x 96 lathe at work did run smoothly but it just wasn't handy to use.
The real reason is something maybe being overlooked which is very important to me that is simply the most return or value for the buck and this kinda seems to look like it. It's sure not perfect but pretty dang gone handy.
As for the big lathe I mentioned (It had been converted to CNC) we used to knurl aluminum extrusions with a star inner shape, look at the long grab bar at the rear of a firetuck all of about 1.5 OD.

Curious, is the rear splash guard large enough or are chips still going to fly past it?

I'm only thinking in terms of the wall behind the lathe and I plan to have 12" (maybe 15") of space between the two. Thanks.

Cobra my G4003G splash guard contains chips extremely well, rarely will any chips find their way behind the lathe. The front is another matter. Now chuck grease, WD40, coolant or other variants of cutting oil is not as well contained and will go flying upward and rearward off the chuck over the splash guard. If you are putting the lathe up against a back wall you may want to fashion a half cover up and forward over that chuck area.

Back