1236 Questions

You might consider a Lexan splash guard. It significantly curs down on the oil/grease flying everywhere, and up/behind the lathe. When Enco has there 20% off and free shipping, they are very reasonable.
Lexan Splash Guard.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture... looks much nicer than the other one I saw. I'll definitely keep an eye on that part and the discount.

mksj, can you tell me which size you purchased (I'm guessing the 12-16 with 8" center height?) and if that size is what you would get again? Also wondered if it was worth getting the loc-line adjustable arm magnetic shield for the mill. Thanks.

Yes, it is a the FLexbar 12-16" version, 8" center, Enco part number 505-4017. I purchase mine last year when it went on sale in one of their fliers paid $127. So it pays to get on their mailing list and email sale notices, but you really need to wait until the stars line up and the price is right. The list price is too expensive, let alone MSC overinflated prices. It is cheaper from the company direct if you needed it sooner, might also consider a longer support bar (13509) if you use coolant and do long work away from the chuck (I am fine with the standard unit). I find there is plenty of working room under the shield, flips up easily and I like the added protection between the spinning chuck and my face (and not getting sprayed with oil). I relocated my light so it does not interfere.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-4017
http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/LATHEGUARD-MEDIUM-p3525.htm

The adjustable shield for the mill is probably a good idea depending on your set-up. I almost purchased that one for my mill, but I have some polycarbonate sheet and I am going to make my one. I will use neodymium magnets in the base to hold it to the vise/table, and have it flip forward with some friction dampers. Never use acrylic for a shield, it will shatter and is very weak.
Mark

Thanks for the details... and I agree, when I saw the price I was shocked. I just changed my preferences to receive their mailings again.

Cobra my G4003G splash guard contains chips extremely well, rarely will any chips find their way behind the lathe. The front is another matter.

About how far will the chips find their way in front of the lathe? I'm trying to figure out where that line is going to be. If it's 3 feet from the front of the lathe... which would be about 2 feet behind me... then that's where I'll start laying floor tiles. That will be the "non-chip" area, ha.

It really depends on the material you are turning, depth of cut, tooling, etc. I mostly get a big hairball of long curly spring like strings from aluminum and steel. Aluminum strings can be a few feet in length, steel tends to be sub inch to a few inches those probably travel the farthest. Brass and cast iron create tiny chips that don't go far at all. Spindle speed also a factor of course. I would say you are fine with 3 feet out front with the occasional escapee flinging itself outside that zone. The lathe is well behaved, its the mill that will fling chips in a 10 foot radius and make a big mess.

That said do consider safety, I would not want to be boxed into a small area without an escape route if something goes horribly wrong on a lathe.

Wow, had no idea the mill would make that much more of a mess. Thanks for the info... and warning.

Back