12in QCGB on a 10in

welderr

Registered
Registered
Hi will a 12 inch QCGB fit on a 10 in Atlas from approx the same age ? Thanks TJ

It can!
There are few threads on fitting 12” QCGB to 10” on the web. Which QCGB used will have different ways of doing so. Here is one discussion- https://www.polytechforum.com/metal...-gearbox-do-it-right-the-second-ti-84774-.htm There was also a write up on the Atlas/Craftsman users group as a pdf I believe. I may have that one but I did a purge a couple years back.

This is true!
“It says here in the arrogant machinists code that a machinist can make anything of metal and mechanical in nature fit up to and work with anything. Sometimes it aint practical but a machinist stubborn enough and inventive enough can do some amazing things.”

Quote from another site
Atlas also manufactured lathes for Sears, sold under the Craftsman brand. Craftsman lathes were basically similar to the Atlas lathe, but differed in a few respects. One of the major ones is the early Craftsman 12" lathe. It is the Atlas 10" lathe, raised with 1" spacers in the casting. The Atlas and later model Craftsman 12" lathesare quite different. The early bed is 3/8" thick, while the later model is 1/2" thick.

The later QC gearbox can be adapted to earlier machines, but it is not a bolt on, some modifications will be needed.

There was also a thread about putting one of the three 12" QCGB's onto a 10" a couple of years ago on the Yahoo Atlas_Craftsman Group (now on groups.io as Atlas-Craftsman). The differences are in the shape of the headstocks and in how the QCGB attaches to the headstock and/or bed. Most of the internal parts are the same in the five versions. So it is doable, but not easy. Unless one that doesn't fit just drops in your lap, I would look for the correct one for a while before trying it.

Well I had come across a Craftsman 12 in. on Craigslist that I thought would be a parts machine. I picked it up last night , it is in great shape and it was a freebie to top it off ! I guess for now I'm just going to clean it up oil everything and use it with my milling attachment the motor & chuck were missing, along with the tool post , I was actually looking for a smaller lathe to compliment my Atlas 10 in but got it's big brother instead. Plus the guy I got it from was super cool and I got a new buddy too, funny how things work out. T J

Incidentally I went and got the lathe last night I completely broke it down into assemblies to make moving it and cleaning it up easier. The base is almost Identical to my Atlas. And the QCGB is attached completely to the base. I am pretty certain it would bolt right on. I now have no plans to do so as I actually enjoy the somewhat rare pic-o-matic gearbox on my TH42 and tinkering with the change gears.If it was another type of lathe I would have passed on it but since it can share tooling with my 10 inch it's gonna stay. TJ

Back