12V LEDs for mill?

The old lights are florescent. I was hoping to change to 12V and LED. I've kinda given up on finding 12V locally.
Just getting tired of the hunt really and wanting to get some kind of light in place. I 'm planning on getting something in there today. I guess I have the lights I am going to use.?

I found a 14 amp transformer at the local computer geek's shop (old XBox power supply - $5) so I tried the lights from Wallyworld.
They do not work as we hoped. They are spot lights and at this close range (compared to a vehicle's use) are entirely too focused. There is a very bright dot about 6" in diameter and no light anywhere else.

I found a pair of square flood lights at Napa I thought about, but they are $80 for the pair and can not be returned (no return on electrical parts).

So I bought two 24" single row LED strip lights (like ceiling florescent replacements) for $35 at Lowes. They are 120V which I was hoping to avoid but are metal housings, bright white and 900 lumens each. I hope that is bright enough. If not I can add them to a dark corner of the shop. I haven't tried them yet.

Witch lights did you get from WalMart

Update:
I originally got the 6" spotlight bar from Wal-Mart. It was too focused of a beam so I returned them. "Auto Drive 6 Inch LED Spot Mini Bar Light" light bar 2.JPG

Then I went across the street to Lowes and got a pair of 24" 120V light bars. After I got home I decided I didn't like the fact that they were too big and not waterproof and 120V. So I took them back. "Utilitech Pro Strip Shop Light (Common: 2-ft; Actual: 1.61-in x 24.01-in)" lowes light.jpg

I just came back from NAPA where I got the 12V off-road floods. They are about 3" cubed with 4 LEDs. They hooked one up to a battery so I could see the beam pattern. Looks pretty good, so I bought them. I am designing mounting hardware for them. Way more money than I had hoped to spend, but I was getting tired of messing around. These are heavy cast alumnium, well sealed and built (with wiring harness which I may or may not use). "LED Cube Light Pair - Perfect Additions, 3" L, Flood Beam"
napa light.jpg They were on sale for $79 - reg $99. Should outlast the mill.

I'll post results in a day or two.

Looks like I'm a little too late for my input, but I pot just incase it helps others in the future. I just put those three lights in the OP on my truck (bar on the front and cubes on the rear) and I think you would have a serious case of overkill on a mill...they are BRIGHT! I think the small cubes will do you well if the separation and angles are dialed in. Look forward to seeing it completed

Got the lights up & working;

0504.jpg This is the old light. All the plastic housing has fallen off and you can see how I had to use plumbers tape to hold it up when the plastic mounts broke. Wouldn't have been so bad if all that wiring wasn't 120V! I think my coolant attacked the plastic (Trim C350) but I'm not sure. (there were 3 of these)

0508.jpg New lights don't take up much room. They are about 3"x3"x3". 12V cast aluminum housings, 1400 lumens, water resistant, bright white, made by Balkamp. I used the wiring harness that came with the lights and my $5 XBox power supply.

0511.jpg Worked out pretty good. I tried just 1 light and it wasn't wide enough but with the pair it is OK.

I could have probably gotten the same or better results if I had looked around (or taken some of the suggestions here) and ordered lights. Definitely could have saved money that way but maybe not a lot.
All-in-all I'm happy and feel a little safer. I hate like heck getting shocked!

Last edited:
Back