12V LEDs for mill?

Hi Groundhog,
i don't know if you are opposed to buying things directly from China, but i found a link for you.
the link is for inexpensive LED waterproof outdoor 9 watt LED spotlights, there are 12v models and there is a multi voltage AC model too 85vac to 265vac.
less than $8.00 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-10pcs-...hash=item5d6bb64972:m:mRbrcNoM3CQg8xANy8ANssA

i got a larger 30 watt LED floodlight from the same vendor (85-265v model).
it took about 3 weeks to arrive, but it works like a charm.

i hope the information is useful to somebody

I put three 120V florescent "under-counter" kitchen lights in my CNC mill enclosure when I built it 5 years ago. They have plastic covers and the bodys are plastic. I think they are water resistant - not waterproof. The coolant (I guess) attacked the plastic of the covers first and is now disintegrating the bodys.

Has anyone tried 12V DC off-road light bars ...
A compatible 12V power supply would bring the total package to somewhere near $100.

The less expensive alternative is an outdoor (sealed) LED lamp with a builtin power brick.
These are DC power supplies, so ought not to flicker (that's a concern with rotating
machinery), if you get the type that has a single high-power lamp, but there
may also be dozens-of-LEDs variants that run straight off AC (you DON'T want those).

https://www.banggood.com/AC170-265V...p-1156203.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA

is similar to one I've got in the garage, it's good (maybe too bright, even).
You'll have to attach your own AC plug, it just has a short pigtail.
I used a molded cordset, it took some work with pliers
to remove the clamp/grommet.

whitmore, can you clarify what LEDs I don't want.
What do you mean by "but there may also be dozens-of-LEDs variants that run straight off AC (you DON'T want those)."?

whitmore, can you clarify what LEDs I don't want.
What do you mean by "but there may also be dozens-of-LEDs variants that run straight off AC (you DON'T want those)."?

You can get 120 Hz flicker from long strings of LEDs that run off 120V AC by just
stacking lots of 3V units (it takes dozens) in series. The AC-powered lamps that work that way
do NOT have a DC power supply, so they flicker. You want one with maybe three or
four (in a thermal module it looks like a single) LEDs, that uses AC/DC conversion electronics.

Squinting at pictures, there are visible differences in the two types. Usually.

OK, thanks.
I read that somewhere. But are there not 120V LEDs with something called drivers that do not flicker? Seems they are usually in the very high priced, high output lights. Flickering is the main reason architects do not like to use LEDs in offices, etc., and these new lights with drivers (or something like that - I forget) do not flicker. I got the impression that it is more technology than just a 12V AC to 12/24V DC transformer.
Anyhow, I understand what you are saying. It looks cheapest to use 12/24 VDC LEDS with a transformer anyway.

Couldn't you place a splash cover to protect the lights, a sheet of plexiglass or maybe tempered glass if the chemicals will attack plexiglass. LEDs last years so even if the cover would be a hassle to remove it would be a very a rare chore.

Aaron, Yeah I went out to the shop earlier (it's 1 degree above zero - I didn't stay outside long) and took a better look at the florescent lights I have. I need to think about making new housings and maybe covers for them. They work good except they might be getting a little dangerous what with the circuit boards exposed to the coolant!
Need to sleep on this for a few naps.
:drink:Happy New Years

But are there not 120V LEDs with something called drivers that do not flicker?...
I got the impression that it is more technology than just a 12V AC to 12/24V DC transformer.

There are too many ambiguous words for any clarity.
'LED' is a small optoelectronic part, not a full lighting system. Power to light
that small part is in the 1-4VDC range, with current and temperature limits.

A "12V LED" or "120V LED" is always a module with many small parts.
Driver can mean almost anything (including switches that can cause
strobing as they cut power entirely). Filtered DC is a good term for what's wanted.
Filtered and regulated DC is the best power-to-an-LED option.

Sadly, none of the usual lamp retaiilers is really forthcoming on the subject
of flicker, and when I care, I build my own system that I can test.
There's concern to limit temperature, voltage, and current so as not
to burn up the LEDs. That's all. Flicker, after all, doesn't generate complaints (except
it's important for folk lighting up rotating machinery).

Recently purchased a new PM-833T mill. The following link is how I am going to do my lighting. Very simple and inexpensive.

Oh, BTW GroundHog, waddya mean too cold at 1 above zero? LOL. We had -20 here last night, plus the windchill, whatever that was. Stinkin' cold is all I know. I actually had it 84 degrees in my shop the other day and had to open the door a tad to let some heat out, put one too many oak pieces in the woodstove. LOL.

PM45 Spindle Light

Hi Groundhog,
i don't know if you are opposed to buying things directly from China, but i found a link for you.
the link is for inexpensive LED waterproof outdoor 9 watt LED spotlights, there are 12v models and there is a multi voltage AC model too 85vac to 265vac.
less than $8.00 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-10pcs-...hash=item5d6bb64972:m:mRbrcNoM3CQg8xANy8ANssA

i got a larger 30 watt LED floodlight from the same vendor (85-265v model).
it took about 3 weeks to arrive, but it works like a charm.

i hope the information is useful to somebody
Don't knock China,The control transformer on my lathe went puckaroo,dealer had none in stock and would be three months to obtain,local sources wanted stupid prices so I looked on the interweb,Alibaba in particular and inquired with three advertisers. Upshot was I had a custom made transformer plus a spare on my doorstep 4 days later with an accompanying note apologising for the delay as there was a local province holiday. The quality is obvious. I have bought a few other items from China and I may just be lucky but the quality is very good and the service almost unbelievable.
Have a look at 5060 SMD strips,(100% waterproof are available),and build a mounting fixture or enclosure. These things are bright!

Back