12x36 Lathe Taper Attachment

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I finally got a 12x36 Chinese lathe and i`m about to pull the trigger on a taper attachment for it.

It replaces the feed screw in the cross slide. I am hoping it replaces it with a 10 TPI .100 per revolution screw and not the funky .125 per revolution screw that this machine has. Anyone know for sure?

This is the kit i`m looking at: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Taper-Attachment-Kit-for-G4002-G4003-G4003G/T10556

Should work on any of these Chinese 12x36's lathes from the past 20-30 years.

I believe if it did, the instruction manual would make mention of it.

Looks like from the Grizzly photo it's 0.100" per turn or 10 tpi. The only thing I'd be worried about is the gear on the shaft that meshes with your apron for power feeding. Don't know if they are the same modular pitch and number of teeth on the gears. Push comes to shove, you may need to Frankenstein the Grizzly and stock parts to get it working. Not unheard up and naturally a lot easier to do if you have another lathe to use as the 12 x 36 will be torn down.

Bruce

That makes sense, I could remake the gears if necessary.

I wasnt able to make it out in the pics, thanks.

Did you ever buy and install the Grizzly taper attachment? I bought one and am trying to install it on my G4003. I’m beginning to think the taper attachment is a complete piece of junk. I have some questions if you’re installing one. Thanks

I never did sorry, I'm leaning more toward making something instead ... but would love to see pics and know what you have encountered! We can make this thread all about it ...

So I finally did grab one of these Taper Attachments - it is going to be a project of its own. I went with the cheapest of the 3 models for 12x36 lathes - after seeing little difference and knowing i`d have to make some mods. So far this is what i`ve found:

My machine has a 13 tooth cross feed gear that I believe 1.5mm pitch or maybe larger - have not checked yet. The grizzly kits (all three of them) have 14 tooth gears that may be 1 mm pitch.

I would have to bore out the clearance hole on the front of my saddle to accept the entire gear and lead screw in one shot.

The biggest problem seems to be that the sliding part where the gear rides has about a 3" deep blind keyway in it. I can make all of the pieces except for this as far as I can tell. If I were to attempt to remove the gear from the new shaft and get mine onto it it would be a very thin cross section under the teeth even if it were silver soldered in place.

Lots to consider anyway, i`m fairly committed to it now. For $395 it isn't worth paying return shipping on a 60+ pound crate.

The only other thing that is interesting is the handwheel reads in .002" - not sure yet if that is direct reading or just lower resolution. It does appear to be 10 tpi as opposed to my original at 8 tpi.

Some random pics

Attachments

• 0804201503.jpg
    0804201503.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 0804201502.jpg
    0804201502.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 0804201459.jpg
    0804201459.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 0804201457.jpg
    0804201457.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
On a whim I just went to check on parts and they do list a 13T gear shaft - the manual parts list shows only 14T for the 3 interchangeable models. $18 i`ll order it and see if it matches up before doing anything drastic.

Received the new 13 tooth gear today - looks like it will work even though the tooth design looks a little different. Need to bore out the front of the saddle to accept the gear.

Attachments

• 0807201400.jpg
    0807201400.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Back