12z Update And Status After A Year.

Yeah. And I still need a bigger lathe too. The dro, one shot oiler, and power feeds are the big ones though. I can work well with those. Not that I can't work without them but the time savings working with them is the huge. The 3hp and belt drive likely won't happen for a couple years no matter how much I want to copycat your mill.
I also need to look at buying a house next year something with a large garage of my own. Trying to tell my girlfriend we should just build a large metal building on some land then a kitchen and bathroom but I don't think she will go for that.
Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Yeah, forgot about the lathe.

You would have loved this: We found what was basically a barn for sale on a rather large horse ranch. A new barn mind you, with a concrete floor, very well lit, and insulated/heated/cooled. Plenty of room to park the cars, trucks, combine, etc.. The South East corner of the building was walled in, with a couple of regular looking wood doors. We walked in and there was this gorgeous apartment, with a living/family room with windows to the outside, island kitchen (with rather expensive built-ins), half-bath, and another room that was a combo laundry/mud room much like we have now. The upstairs had a very large bedroom with large master bath and walk-in closets. Wife loved it. I loved it. Unfortunately, it was in GA and there is little in the way of a high-tech job market there. :(

Otherwise I'd be living in this monster-sized shop with a built-in apartment. :D

Last edited:
You can still buy land cheap here. Unfortunately that would also require a 3 hr drive to work. Out in the middle of nowhere here its realistic to buy 10+ acres and build something much like bill mentioned. For 150k problem is anything within 2 hrs of anything has gone up 25- 30% since the stoners moved in.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I'll take an old, non-descript airplane hanger with elevated living quarters right in middle surrounded by classy cars/airplanes/boats and a complete shop while you are handing out dream properties. Ideally close to good fishing if you can swing it.

Hmmmm, just like Dirk Pitt:) Yeah,I could do that:grin:

A guy near us moved & rebuilt his old family home (from some small town south of here), brick-by-brick.
He added a lower level to it for shop space and had radiant heat running through out.
Then, since it was on a small airstrip, he was retired USAF, he build a hanger that had full climate control
-PLUS- radiant floor heating...
He fiancée was from Colorado and didn't care for east TN. He upped and sold off everything, including his planes
and moved out to CO...
It was quite the setup. Of course it was ~$450K, but what a shop.

If you are talking about the green machine on the end of the lead screw it is a magnetic drill. Handy as the devil for many things.

Back