12z Version 2.0

That said I'm back looking at the G0509G 16x40 lathe where I started.
Going to run up on 2 May and take a look? Tent sale!

Probably not for me, as I will be traveling on business all the following weeks, so I will be in the doghouse if I sacrifice part of that weekend as well.

I'm afraid my bad hip would leave me bringing up the rear in that mad foot race. I just got my handicap parking permit this week (face palm). The doc tells me an artificial hip would make me a new man so maybe next year. You want to hear something funny, I keep thinking it would be cool if I could machine my own artificial hip LMAO!

Well Coolidge, if you decide to start designing skeletal replacement parts I need help with the lower spine, right hip, and right knee (don't ask...) :confused:

Well Coolidge, if you decide to start designing skeletal replacement parts I need help with the lower spine, right hip, and right knee (don't ask...) :confused:

I'm guessing...after being mistaken for Brad Pitt you were running from a mob of women and one tripped you?

Finished up my first project on the mill, a backing plate for the quill DRO scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. What's the make/size of that face mill you're using? Thinking I'm needing one.

Is that a 6" Kurt? Looks huge. :)

That's my Glacern 2.5 inch 45 degree face mill, I have been very happy with it both on aluminum and steel. Tip: I went with the 2.5 inch vs the 3 inch because the 2.5 inch takes 5 inserts so you get two full sets per box of 10. With 4 corners each one box is likely to last me a very long time. Yes that's a Kurt D688 vise, it fits this mill quite nicely.

Here's a pic-o-rama of this face mill and the Iscar inserts I chose.

No less important are the inserts. I chose these two Iscar inserts after researching what's out there, the first for steel the second for aluminum. I 'think' I purchased these at MSC during a sale. Unfortunately Glacern is smoking crack on their insert prices, you can find them MUCH cheaper elsewhere. The steel insert (I used it to shave down the Aloris QCTP T nut produces nice blue chips.

This works real nice on aluminum so far, I have not tried to take a real heavy cut with them. They are polished and sharp edged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back