13” compound interchangeable w/ Heavy 10?

Esmith41

Registered
Registered
I recently purchases a SB 13 that has some damage to the compound rest. DBA230BC-6C0A-44AC-B652-1B2E4D953A36.jpegI plan on doing a full restore and would like to replace the compound rest. I have access to a heavy 10 compound rest. Will it fit on my 13?
Thanks for your help,
Eric

It could very well fit. I know that my junior (or "heavy 9") had a lot of interchangeable parts with the heavy 10's, and that the later toolroom 9's and the light 10's had interchangeable parts, but I was under the impression that the heavy 10 parts were more in line with the 13's and 16's. If I recall, even the change gears were more likely to fit the larger lathes because of the diametral pitch.

I am curious, though. If you have the compound rest, give it a shot and tell us what you find.

I do not have the heavy 10 compound rest in hand. I know of one available for purchase if it is going to fit.

Hey derf, thanks for the reply. I didn’t realize how much of a difference there is in size.

Did the 13" lathe, by any chance come from a school? That might account for the typical compound rest "texturing".

Did the 13" lathe, by any chance come from a school? That might account for the typical compound rest "texturing".
I bought it from a machinist friend that didn’t want to deal with the slipping leather belt. I’m not to sure if it’s history. Who ever had sure was not to afraid of running the compound into the chuck. The chucks must have been replaced because they do not have any damage.

If you don't have any mechanical issues with it, I would grind the ugly off till smooth and live with it.

Back