13" Sheldon Repairs

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I put the carriage back on the lathe yesterday and made some chips with it. It cut well. Good surface finish. I don't know about taper because I just made short cuts. I parted a 1" diameter crs bar and it seems rigid enough. The tailstock is a little different than I'm used to seeing. There is only one adjuster on it. If you want to move it back the other way, you have to tap it. It would seem that it could easily come out of adjustment when you loosen the bottom clamp to move it toward the headstock. I haven't attempted to dial it in yet. The ways are kind of nicked up but I don't think they're really worn from use. The cross slide had a lot of wear on it. Like a previous poster said (before it was erased due to the hacker), it seems to have been used a lot for facing. After making some cuts on it and convincing myself that the machine was worthy of the time, I pulled the drive unit out of the cabinet. The countershaft has torrington bearings on in that sounded gravelly. The shifting shafts were slipping when I tried to change speeds. I would have liked to addressed both of the problems without pulling the unit out, but there isn't enough space in the cabinet to pull the shaft out to replace the bearings. This is one of the reasons I like the old Logans with rear drive. It was a chore removing the underdrive unit. It needed new countershaft belts, so now they will get replaced also. All of the gears are in good shape. The spindle bearings are good. It has a 3 jaw chuck on it that refuses to loosen up. It's an engineering marvel. It appears to be a 1 1/2"-8 mounted on a 2 1/4-8 plate with a spacer plate between it and the spindle. I've had it soaking in penetrating oil, used an impact on it, and left it with weight hanging from a bar overnight. It hasn't given up yet. I may have to cut it off. Heres some pics:

Ah Ha!

So that's where my post went?! I could have sworn I posted to that thread. Facing indeed. I've never seen a screw that worn. I'll bet the chuck is stuck on the spindle at the adapter shoulder face. It doesn't take a whole lot of corrosion to stick such flat surfaces. That, and vibration can almost gall them together. Not sure how you get any penetrant down in there...

By the looks of the other goodies in the background, that lathe has found a great home!

A 13" Sheldon lathe has either 2-1/4-8 thread, L-00, or D1-4 spindle nose. Check the bore of your spindle, it should be around 1-7/16", maybe a tad bigger.

I can assure you it doesn't have a 1-1/2-8 spindle nose. Your's is too new to have anything else on it.

Your right. It has a 2 1/4-8 spindle. Right now it has a 1 1/2-8 chuck mounted on it. I can remove the chuck easily enough, but that still leaves the 2 1/4-8 backing plate and what appears to be a spacer plate behind that. I took the chuck off and shot penetrating oil into the threads on the spindle. Then put the chuck back on so I could have something to hold a hex bar. If it doesn't want to loosen that way, my next step is to drill spanner holes in the mounting plate and failing that I'll cut it off the spindle. I'm being patient and letting it soak while I work on the other issues.

Chuck

Back