13" South Bend New Cross Feed Screw & Nut HELP

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm not sure how to finish the cross feed screw handle retainer. The one I am replacing has a roll pin about half way in to the handle with a slot in the retaining nut.
Do I cut a slot and continue drilling the screw to accomodate the roll pin/lock up?
Miller Machine left this part up to me, I can handle it but I'm just wondering what you did?
I am looking at drilling it this way. see pic in jig v block.
Thank you!
Jeff

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502[1].JPG

Last edited:
The pin is nothing more than a key to keep the handle from rotating, but I have no idea why you need half a hole in the nut also. I think maybe that is for a drilling guide and nothing more. Once the hole is drilled, it's replaced with the solid nut. It would also be much easier to drill with an endmill.

The pin is nothing more than a key to keep the handle from rotating, but I have no idea why you need half a hole in the nut also. I think maybe that is for a drilling guide and nothing more. Once the hole is drilled, it's replaced with the solid nut. It would also be much easier to drill with an endmill.

I assumed the round machined nut was to replace my mangled nut.
I have it set up in the drill press to drill into the new shaft. A drill guide? Ok
I may just use it as the new nut. Cut a slot in it and call it a day. I'll sleep on it and see what the group comes up with.
I appreciate the help, thanks!

Personally I would mill the slot with a 1/8 ball end mill , that drill guide may work be carful of the threads
It looks like the screw threads will stick out past the center ball , you may want to cut it off < flush with the ball and smooth it off , save your knuckles. That’s why the original nut is rounded, the slots are for a pin wrench
Did you get a new nut from miller too ? .
FYI taper pins on that vintage were all hand drilled non the same, if you get a part with a tp get the matching part.

dlane,
I thought about this from many different angles. I agree with derf, this threaded nut must be a drill guide. The handle has a crescent 1/8 drilled slot about half way into the I’d of the handle.
If I make a mark with a sharpie and line up the, “ guide” I should be able to sgueak the drill by the threads. Fornutaly I have a hole in my drill press large enough to accommodate the shaft. So, I have confidence with my set up.
I don’t have a mill end of that style, ball end.
I will try and clean up the nut, if not I’ll order one.
Wish me luck

Finished, I used the guide, had to remove .002-.003 off the cross feed screw. It was a bit too tight but that’s a good thing.
All put back together and making chips.
Now I need to work on accuracy. The tail shaft is a bit low, .013 between the farthest points.
Projects, projects. I’ll get it.
Thanks for your help.

CA9BD542-892E-4ACB-9F70-3B06B6B0970E.jpeg

Back