13” South Bend Single, Gits Oiler Tube Length?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
I need to make the Gits Oiler for the apron upper right Oiler. It has a 90 degree cup with a tube attached that extends to a drip area that drains down to the half nuts.
If you know the required length from the outside apron casting to the drop point I will be in your debt.
1941 13” single gear box
Thank you!
Jeff

With some luck, someone will have a definitive answer to your question. I, too, needed one. Luckily, the PO didn't know how to thread on a lathe so the half nuts are in like new condition without the correct oiler installed. Not sure if your half nuts are like mine, but mine not only have a hole for oil going into the half nuts, but also a hole up higher on each side of the upper nut for oiling the ways the half nuts travel in.

What I did was make on extension for the Gits oiler the OP had in there out of the handle of an acid brush (seam up). After determining the proper length I loctited it in with some high strength Loctite (some of the old green stuff).

To determine the correct length, I removed the tail stock from the lathe and also removed the outboard bearing for the lead screw. This allowed me to move the carriage way down on the end of the lathe so I could see were the oil was going while oiling it. This way I knew it was doing the job correctly and didn't rely on a preset dimension.

Good luck,
Ted

Thanks Ted,
I already went through the apron, new felts, and did not want to go back in to find the length.
An acid brush is perfect.
I don’t remember what else was oiled

You don't have to disassemble the apron at all. Just get the carriage down to the end of the ways and you can see right in there. Might need a flashlight if your shop is dark. Just have to get the tail stock out of the way and remove two screws to take the outboard bearing off the end of the lead screw. Easy pezy.

Ted

Ok,
I’ll give that a try, sounds easy.
Obviously I did not pay attention to your first post. Dingbat.
Thanks Ted!!

Is this what you need? My SBL 13 carriage is off getting the cross slide and compound scraped.

The tube can extend to even 2.4 inches from the apron outside wall and it will still be fine.

20180528_004316.jpg20180528_004745.jpg

Last edited:
Bamban you are beautiful!
Where did you send the parts to get scraped?
Thank you!

Bamban you are beautiful!
Where did you send the parts to get scraped?
Thank you!

I begged Ken from Victoria, TX to do it as a side filler project with no specific turn around requested, and no quote requested. It will be whatever it will be. Timing is perfect, he was driving through town, so he just picked it up. That was a week before my right knee total replacement on 1 May. Good time to shutdown the lathe as I go through recovery. It will be a couple more months before my wife releases my restriction from operating any machine on the garage.

Last edited:
Back