13" Southbend Lathe Stupid Question

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
When I got this thing it had sit out side a long time. The inside of the spindle was rusty, I took the head apart this morning and cleaned up the inside of the spindle. Wire brushed and polished it, I've never had or use a 5C collet adapter.

When I put in in place it won't go all the way in about 3/16 from being in. I think I have the right one I even blued it to see if there was any burs in the spindle.

Anyone got any ideas?

Paul

Paul, I have a 13 w/collets and I don't think mine goes all the way in either. I'll. Hd k when I get back home.

Pat

5C collets have a pin in the holder that registers in a slot in the side of the collet, similar to an R8 collet, did you make sure they were lined up?

Walter

Re: 13

starlight_tools link=topic=1232.msg6031#msg6031 date=1299364709 said:
5C collets have a pin in the holder that registers in a slot in the side of the collet, similar to an R8 collet, did you make sure they were lined up?

Walter

Walter it is the adapter not the collet they work fine, Don't know whats up with it. Thanks for the replys!

Paul

It is the

Last edited by a moderator:

HSS link=topic=1232.msg6023#msg6023 date=1299359243 said:
Paul, I have a 13 w/collets and I don't think mine goes all the way in either. I'll. Hd k when I get back home.

Pat

Ok Pat thanks, Maybe there not supposed to it just seems like they should.

Paul

Paul,

Mine looks to be 3/16 proud also. Still a good tight fit in any case.

Pat

13 collet adpt.JPG

Pat:
Thanks for going to the trouble to do that it just didn't seem right to me.

Paul

Hey Paul, no problem. Just out of town looking at new mowers trying to decide which one the missus wanted.

Pat

There should be a gap behind the collet adapter. There is usually a threaded spindle nose protector that screws on the spindle behind the adapter to protect it and to assist in removing the adapter. See photo attached

Steve

Collet Closer.jpg

IBD Steve, mine doesn't have that threaded spindle nut. That surely would make it easier to remove the adapter.

Pat

Back