1340GT on Order!

INTJ

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Three phase with VFD and a bunch of other items. I should have it some time in May. I did a lot of research and info posted here by Zmotorsports and some others have been extremely helpful.

I am a complete newby with lathes but it’s time. I have always wanted to do all my own gunsmithing. I just stated shooting long range benchrest again and it will good to be able to do my own work. I have a couple of excellent gunsmiths helping me out. I will need a mill soon as well, but need to recover the budget for the lathe first.

Welcome,
you will like it here.

Suweeeeet!!

Welcome to the cult, errmmm, group.

I already like it here! It has put me on a good path. Hobbies include long range benchrest, lead trumpet in a community jazz band, and now I can add precision machining to my gunsmithing. I am seeing a trend here...................

I tried to talk myself into the 1236T. It would have been plenty of lathe for my needs. However, it doesn't turn slow enough for rifle gunsmithing so I'd have to add a three-phase motor and the VFD. That puts the two lathes within $750 of each other. When the 1236Ts see the price increase with the newest shipment, that puts them within about $500.

I love my 1340GT. It's a good sized/good quality lathe that I can fit in my garage. I don't do rifle work as of yet, but I do use mine for my pistolsmithing endeavors. :)

Who is installing the VFD?

Oh, and welcome to the club. :D

I’ll install the VFD myself. I am pretty good at wiring, and my next door neighbor is an electrician if things get wierd.

I’ll install the VFD myself. I am pretty good at wiring, and my next door neighbor is an electrician if things get wierd.

Have you considered talking to Mark (mksj) here on the forum about one of his killer VFD wiring systems for that 1340? Good stuff. :)

My budget is streched right now. What does he charge?

My budget is streched right now. What does he charge?

Depends on what you want for controls, e.g., automatic stop, coolant control, light control etc.. I don't believe he has one fixed price for his systems.

You could PM him and discuss. :)

Back