1340GT on Order!

INTJ, we share the same interest, where are you from? I am located in central PA and bought the 1340gt for the exact same reason. it's a great machine. I also have a couple great mentors. spend as much time with them as you can and ask lots of questions.

I am from Southern Oregon. Was a USAF pilot from 1983-2007 and lived all over. I got into 1000 yd BR (NBRSA) during my last assignment in Tucson. When I got a job back home in Oregon in 2007, there wasn't anyplace to shoot formal long range BR so I sold my BR rifle. Two months ago I discovered that for the last couple of years two gun ranges in Oregon had been having NBRSA long range matches, and that the National were being held in Oregon this year. I now have a sorted out rifle and the first match is this weekend.

Wart Hog or F16 driver? (guessing as I used to watch them fly over the golf course in Tucson all the time) :)

Welcome to the forum, good choice of machine, I have the same one and in the process of setting it up.
You should have some fun with yours once it gets here.
I am visiting NZ (my former home) and my cousin is into 300 and 1000 yard BR shooting and he builds his own rifles, it was pretty nice to have him show me how he sets up a new blank barrel including cutting the threads which was nice to see as it’s been a while since I’ve used a lathe.
That’s a whole new level of $$$ so I,m happy to just watch and I’ll stick to my 22LR at 20 & 50 yards.
Good luck and don’t forget pictures once you get yours.
David.

Wart Hog or F16 driver? (guessing as I used to watch them fly over the golf course in Tucson all the time) :)

It was a staff tour for me. My assignments in order were: C-130, T-38 IP, T-1 IP, Staff, C-130, T-1 IP, Staff. Like many I wanted to fly fighters but the closest I got was my tour as a T-38 IP after flying Herks. On the plus side I got to fly a big airplane, a fighter type plane, and a business; jet so I guess I was fully immersed in the various kinds of fixed wing aviation.

Congrats on the lathe. Be sure to post up some pictures and projects when you get it setup and making chips.

Lot's of great people here who will definitely give assistance if/when needed.

Mike

Finally have the lathe in place—got it a week and a half ago. Next task is to wire up the VFD—might take a while. I got the mill a month before the lathe. I still need to finish setting it up. Trumpet playing and Competion 600/1000 yd Benchrest are “hobbies” that suck up a lot of “free” time. The lathe is part of the BR hobby.

413925599.jpg

413925600.jpg

I decided to get Dr Mark’s control board. I really like some of the features he has added like the proximity stop and I like the idea of very high quality electrical controls. This means it will likely be another month before I will get to turn it on.

I am impressed with the quality of the Lathe. The dials, carriage, and tail stock are very smooth. The steel stand is heavy gauge It’s a well built tool.

My garage is sloped 1” per 4’ and so the factory leveling screws didn’t have enough adjustment. Matt advised against getting longer screws and of course not using the feet would eventually create diviots in the concrete floor.

My solution was to get some 2” x 3/8” bar stock, cut two 2”x 2” pads and the drill a recess for the screws. I did all that and it works great.......except I needed a bandsaw to make a nice cut. I do have a $200 steel cutting blade for my Porter Cable compound miter saw but that always results in getting tiny metal shavings down my shirt.

I would up getting the $259 bandsaw from Harbor Freight and I was pleasantly surprised. It cuts well and is better quality than I thought.

Back