14" bandsaw upper and lower guides "free to good home"

richl

Active User
Registered
I just put carter upper and lower roller guides in my circa 1995 14" jet (Taiwan) bandsaw. The old guides look to be in excellent shape, the cool blocks are in great condition... if they look like they will fit in your bandsaw, let me know and I'll send these to you "free" at my cost (shipping). The bearings look a bit rough, but they still work well, and make no noise20180109_124810.jpg...
No Brainer, first come, first served.

Rich20180109_124824.jpg

Wonder if they would fit an old Delta 14". I'll have to try climbing over some stuff to look. I can't remember the guide setup.

Take a look, the Carter blocks were for an Asian 14, jet. I have pics of the setup I'll post.
My bandsaw may have less than 50-60 hours of service. These parts only need to be cleaned up to look new again.20180109_124840.jpg20180109_124914.jpg20180107_125041.jpg20180107_124553.jpg

Those bearings don't mess up the set of the blade? I'll look tomorrow. It's midnight.

I think I need to set them back, I'm still learning. They definitely are too far forward.

Normally you don't want them riding on the toothed portion. Sometimes it's a problem with narrow blades. You definitely can mash the set out of a blade with bearings like that if they are as tight as they should be.

All fixed. These carter's had a surprising number of steps to adjust them in. I have the side bearings about an 1/8" off the blade on each side, not sure whether that is too loose. I am still in the process of installing reduction gears, I I have not had a chance to see how they run. Hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks

1/8” sounds like a lot to me ,for metal cutting vertical saw guides I use solid side guides , helps keep more chips out
I use a piece of paper when adjusting side clearance for my solid guides so far so good
The backup bearing (adjusted correctly) keeps the tooth set out of the guides,
I use roller bearing guides on my wood band saw adjusted to the blade , no paper
C0A00485-7994-442E-8AD5-F0CDA53F3890.jpeg
Table removed in this pic, built a chip brush below to keep chips out.
These guides are custom made , its a converted Do All band filer to a saw

Back