[4]

14" Delta Band Saw=Wood

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hi,
I spent some time tearing down, cleaning, painting and ordering bearings this weekend.
I did learn how not to press out the upper wheel bearings.
I pressed them out. But, there are two grooves that have keepers, at least they did.
I can clean up the bore but I still cant' figure out how to get in there to pull out the bearings from the center. There is a sleeve between the bearings that impedes any fingers from a puller.
How did you do it?

Attachments

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Can you post closeup pictures of the problem?

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
if there's a spacer sleeve inbetween 2 bearings, the usual answer is to knock the sleeve to one side and then knock one of the bearings out using a punch. You can use a woodruff key against the inside of the bearing you're punching out to spread the load a little. Once you have one bearing out, the 2nd one can easily be pressed out.

Janderso

if there's a spacer sleeve inbetween 2 bearings, the usual answer is to knock the sleeve to one side and then knock one of the bearings out using a punch. You can use a woodruff key against the inside of the bearing you're punching out to spread the load a little. Once you have one bearing out, the 2nd one can easily be pressed out.
Yep. That's what I should have done. Not knowing there were retainers, I assumed I could just press them through. Which I did.
No Damage, to speak of. I will be OK.
Parts are ordered.
Next time though..... You learn as you go.

dbq49

Registered
Delta band repair and maintenance book for you to get. ITURRA DESIGN the bandsaw people. Call 904-642-2802 and ask for a bandsaw accessory catalog. Great repair information and useful replacement parts. YOU will not be disappointed. The are in Jacksonville Fl. email kall@comcast.net Mine is a winter issue 2014.

Janderso

Great, thanks.

Janderso

Finally had some time to work on the saw.
I was in Tucson sorting and packing my Mother. We are moving her up to Chico, CA. Close to family.
Anyway, I am almost done with my 1947 Delta 14" band saw. I have changed all the bearings, cleaned and painted it and now I am putting her back together.
The Rockwell 7.7 amp, 1/2 HP motor has issues. I may have to replace it.
I made a bushing for the upper wheel, replaced the tires too.
This saw will be listed on Craigs list soon, I think, maybe. I have a hard time selling tools.
What a great piece of machinery, very well made!!!!!!

Attachments

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Beautiful job. I guess we all have our "fun", but if I'd spent that much time and $$ I'd not be able to let go of that thing. But I can't seem to sell anything no matter how many times I list it or how cheap. Personally since I did a double reduction to my 14" vertical saw and got it down to metal cutting speed it's amongst the most used tools in my shop. My 4x6 just sits now.

Janderso

Believe me, if I didn’t already have a horizontal and vertical metal saws I would keep it and convert it for metal.
They just don’t make them like this anymore.

[6]
[5] [7]