14” Delta Rockwell/Metal Wood band saw V-Belt size/length?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Thank you,
I am putting the finishing touches on my, new to me 28-300 band saw.
I have the 57” V belt for the wood set up, I need the belt data for the gear reduction pulley.
Thank you!!

Attachments

• 69A290B2-D146-43D8-B396-604BF8B3E3C4.jpeg
    69A290B2-D146-43D8-B396-604BF8B3E3C4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Can't you just measure over the pulleys? I needed a belt for my wood lathe project, measured over the pulleys, went to the Napa auto parts store and asked for one measured on the OD, brought it home and it fit perfectly.

I’m not sure how to do it.
You take a string, lay it out on the pulleys and that’s it?
Measure the outside to outside pulleys?

Take a tape measure and run it around both pulleys, like the belt would fit, get a measurement, and Bob's your uncle (and Tillie's your aunt). You may have to go back and exchange the belt for a shorter/longer, possible, but you will hit it eventually.

Thanks John,
You would thi they would publish the size?
I’ve never tried this method but sounds like it should work like charm school.

While working on mine, I measured the distance between the gear reduction shaft and the main shaft with a caliper. I took the pulley dimensions from the Delta catalog, and did some calculations in a spreadsheet to try to figure out belt lengths.

I did find someone on the web who advertised the belt pair as 59 and 41". I adjusted the distance from motor pulley to main pulley to take a 59" belt in my calculations. Assuming the 59" I found was right, the equivalent short belt came out at 41.25".

I bought a 59, a 40, 41, and 42 " belts. All measured correct length with a cloth measuring tape. With my 59" and 41 installed, the 59 was too loose. With the 59 and 42 installed, the 42 was too loose. Seems to support the fractional length requirements.

So question is, where does one buy the oddball belt lengths? Everywhere I looked, I could only find even inch sizes.

The manual says 57” on the wood pulley.
I’ll pick up a 41 and see where we end up.
I’m gonna measure too.
The belts have been put on the back burner since the start capacitor I purchased didn’t fix my problem.

Back