14" Delta wood/metal band saw

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I would like to find a vintage 14" Delta Rockwell band saw with the open stand.
Every time I see one it reminds me of the one I had just completely rebuilt just before it burned in the fire.

Just checking to see if the Continental posted yesterday was of no interest to you. Right size, vintage, wrong brand.

There was one listed locally that was a beauty. I darn near jumped on it. Sadly it's gone now.
(this is not helping is it?)

There's a few listed down here but pretty far from you. Also not sure which model you were after & not sure if these are slow enough for metal (except maybe the first two).

There were a few more but they said single speed so I didn't include them.

Dang, you have quite a selection down in LA.
Yes, the first two would do it. I'm sure one of these days i'll find one closer to home, I hope. They are great saws. A new Jet is around $1,500 and they are good saws. I had one but lost it in the fire too.
You can see the Jet band saw in the mix of stuff that is all gone now.
The Delta is just finished, well almost put back together.. About two weeks before I lost it.
The creol was the one my dad, brother and I used when I was a kid back in the 60's. That brings a tear or two every time I see this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 23
Sorry to hear. Hope you find a good replacement someday.

I sort of know how you feel. We haven't lost anything due to fires thankfully but they do get close enough to us to give us a good scare. This is the one from 6 months ago. Evacuation lasted the longest on this one.

20191011_033406.jpg20191011_040621.jpg

Ugh, these fire seasons are starting earlier and lasting into November.

I have been looking on/off for last 2 years here on east coast for metal / wood saw. Wanted a ready to use one, not a basket case. Most were in $600-1000 range, and several still needed work. Recently did major repairs to rusty mower deck on my Gravely Pro walk behind, and very tired of the cut-off wheel and jig saw for 1/8 sheet. Something had to change, so said I would buy next one I saw.

Finally bought a "no information available - never been run powered up since purchased" well used 1974 Rockwell 28-300 at a local auction, 20 minutes away, for $60 2 weeks ago. From the three pictures , was obvious it was missing both step pulleys and upper blade guide at minimum, so took a chance for cheap.

Motor does not run, just hums, wired for 220, and 3450 rpm, with capacitor rated @ 110 v. Since original motors were 1725 rpm, it is going away without replacing the cap. Will be replaced with HF 1 hp compressor motor(still have $100 gift card). Rest of unit was well used / abused and jerry rigged. Have it all torn apart, with replacement parts / bearings arriving this weekend. Probably be about $600 into into by time all fixed up, and will have made lots of little things (adjuster knobs for upper guides, lock collars for lower guides, table insert, table align pin, make long tension rod and hardened nut, couple bushings, and return a couple steps on the new pulleys to make belt fit every step the same). Going to take a few weeks to get this back together.

Knew I shouldn't have done it, but looked for standard bandsaw search on FB Marketplace yesterday for fun. Real nice newer complete Jet about 1 hr away just listed for $500. Go figure....

There is nothing wrong with the start capacitor being rated for 120 unless the motor can only be run on 240 VAC. A dual-voltage motor usually has two run and one start winding. All three will be rated for 120 VAC. For 120 volts, all three are connected in parallel. For 240, the two run windings are connected in series. The hot side of the start circuit is tied to the junction of the two run winding, which will normally supply 120 V for the start circuit. Humming and not starting usually indicates one of the following

a. start winding open.
b. start capacitor open.
c. start switch stuck open.
d. incorrectly wired

c is the most common.

To check that the motor is otherwise OK, turn on and spin the motor shaft. If it starts and runs, the motor it is probably OK once you fix the start circuit.

Last edited:
I got an old Dunlap for $70 off craigslist. Didn't need any repairs. It cuts sheet metal ok. Haven't even put the new blade I bought on it yet. I need either a speed reducer or a combo pulley to get the speed down to cut anything thicker than sheet metal. So far I use my Craftsman 3x6 to cut the thicker stuff and the Dunlap for sheet metal.

Back