14" Steady Rest

Keith,

I think that one is a bit too wide by about 1". I recall seeing that SR too on eBay. I've attached a drawing of the end view of my 14" Rockwell lathe. I haven't had a chance to recheck the dimensions but I'm pretty sure they are reasonable correct. If you like a copy of the cad file I have started send me your email address by PM and I'll send. Ken

Edit: I forgot to mention, the steady rest in the attachment is a Sheldon model that some one milled the bottom flat. I'm going to take a piece of flat bar, machine it to fit the bed and machine the height to fit the steady rest and mount.

Attachments

• Steady Rest Mount for 14 Rockwell Lathe-1.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to take a piece of flat bar, machine it to fit the bed and machine the height to fit the steady rest and mount.

This is exactly what I did after searching for a steady rest for my lathe for a couple years without success. I found a 14" South Bend steady rest on eBay for a very reasonable price and modified it to work on my lathe. Couple of pics attached:

DSCN0849_01_01.JPG DSCN0847.JPG DSCN0848.JPG DSCN0853.JPG

Ted

Ted,

Got to ask, what is the Fram oil filter all about?

Ken

Ken,

I use cutting oil as a "flood coolant" and it circulates through that filter back to the sump. I relocated the filter to the back of the lathe since that photo was taken.

Ted

Edit: Thinking about my response, I think I stated that incorrectly. The cutting oil is pumped from the sump through the filter and onto the work. It then drains into the chip pan, through a course screen, into a primary sump with a weir, then via a tube through a fine screen into the main sump.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Ted. That looks like exactly what I'm going to have to do. I did a little test fitting and this is what it looks like.

And it looks like we have the same south bend steady rest. I remember the part number on this one ended it "tt1"

Take Care,
Keith

steady1.jpg steady2.jpg

I thought I would post a update. I ended up milling the steady rest down and making a base for it. Looks like it will work until I find the right one.
I bolted it to the base with 4 socket head cap screws countersunk from the bottom up into the steady rest.
Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Fixed 1.jpg
Fixed 2.jpg
Fixed 3.jpg

Here's a 13" Sheldon steady rest that was "butchard up" before I bought it that I was going to fix up to use on my 15" Sheldon lathe. In luck, I found a 15" SR so this became surplus. Then when I bought my 14" Rockwell lathe, I decided to adapt this 13" SR to my Rockwell lathe. Worked out nice. Now, if I can get the rest of the lathe back to running. Ken

20170101_180612.jpg

20170102_184352.jpg

20170102_184504.jpg

Back