14" woodworking band saw -Harbor freight or Porter Cable?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Harbor Freight is out of stock locally. Lowes has a PC in stock. About $100 more for the PC.
I'm looking for advice. Which would you buy?
It's for my son for Christmas.

Thanks,
Jeff

Check the local classified ads for a used Delta 14inch band saw with cast iron frame. There is a cult following among wood workers. All the mounting and attachment points are square and simple, great for modifying and repair/replace. no critical plastic parts, all zink cast or metal.

The band saw is one place that it matters. I bought an American Made Delta 14" it sucks. There were so many things wrong with it. I had to really work the saw over to get it to cut correctly, and it still lacks.

The old ones were probably better. Mines a 2001 unit. Delta was already falling apart then. There quality control was no where to be found.

If you can find a Laguna 14 not the chineese model on craigs or ebay go for it. Unlike the wood lathe, which you cut by hand, the band saw can be finicky. I re-saw a lot, so I have a riser.. A really good band saw can do wonders in a wood shop. The laguna is a quality machine that has ceramic guides and it's powered well. If you can find one used....

The euro framed saws win the battles mostly. But there are a lot of contenders that don't stack up. A lot of their reviews in years past were basically bought and paid for. I don't get magazines anymore, but I do value friends opinions, especially when I know how they work. So that where my opinion comes from.

I could write a book on this.. buy up...
And if you consider a tablesaw, buy a saw stop. For the price you save fingers. And the saw stop cabinet saw is a quality saw that reminds me of the PowerMatic which was the defacto USA style standard in home shops and small cabinet shops. I want one, and the wife keeps balking.
$3000 vs medical costs for a mistake in judgement... pretty easy... one time cost, quality saw.

For table saw, a made in Drummondville Quebec general 350 saw. Powers through anything. There is a bunch kicking around here used, I wouldn't go new.

I recommend the old delta as said above because they are reasonable on the used market for the presumed budget. At work we have a hybrid wood metal one with a 1979 inventor sticker, must be older. Runs like a dream once you put time into squaring up the guides and aligning the tracking. There are a lot good of tutorials from the wood workers online on how to do such.

5 inch tall slit into 1018 steel? Not a problem for the old delta. Try that with any other entry level "wood saw".

20210216_133757.jpg
20210216_130912.jpg

you cut that on a wood band saw? At full speed, or do you have a gearbox, or pulleys?

Its identical to this one,

Cut was made on lowest speed. Starrett Pro-Die blade 6tpi (I think).

The saw is the same upper as the wood saw only a gear box added for metal.

yea, but you had me confused again, by saying you cut it with a WW saw.
the way you cut it, it was a metal saw.

Long ago someone on here was trying to use a WW saw and WW speeds to cut metal if I remember..

Hi Jeff
i believe the Porter Cable has a three year warranty. probably worth the extra hundred.

Is your son a hobbiest wood worker?

The old Rockwell’s are a very good saw ,especially the ones with a gear box for metal cutting. This probably won’t work for a Christmas gift unless you can find one locally.

If he is just learning either the Harbour Freight or Porter Cable will suffice . I’m sure he would be happy to have a bandsaw, especially if he doesn’t have one now.
Cheers
Martin

Back