14" woodworking band saw -Harbor freight or Porter Cable?

I have a 14" Taiwan Enco from 1993. It has a lot of the construction features of the other 14" band saws mentioned. Most differences I've noted are in the table casting or the arrangement of the drive system, the frame and blade system are pretty much the same.

As far as I know, Porter Cable is part of the super-conglomerate that owns Delta and a very long list of other known consumer-grade tool brands. They own Price-Pfister and Kwikset, and just about any branded set of wrenches from Proto, Craftsman, Mac, Husky, Stanley, to name a few. My point is, every 14" band saw coming out of China is likely to share a lot with the Porter Cable, such as Harbor Freight. If my HF horizontal saw is any indication, the HF may be a good value. And since Porter owns the competition, it might be hard to find much difference between brands.

I had a 14" Delta cast iron bandsaw I bought for $100, it was OK, nothing special. Gave it to a friend and got a Laguna 1412, and I'm happy with that. I try not to buy low end tools anymore, it's just not fun in the long run...which for a hobby it needs to be.

I do wish I had a vertical bandsaw for metal. That would REALLY be fun.

I have a 14" Taiwan Enco from 1993. It has a lot of the construction features of the other 14" band saws mentioned. Most differences I've noted are in the table casting or the arrangement of the drive system, the frame and blade system are pretty much the same.

As far as I know, Porter Cable is part of the super-conglomerate that owns Delta and a very long list of other known consumer-grade tool brands. They own Price-Pfister and Kwikset, and just about any branded set of wrenches from Proto, Craftsman, Mac, Husky, Stanley, to name a few. My point is, every 14" band saw coming out of China is likely to share a lot with the Porter Cable, such as Harbor Freight. If my HF horizontal saw is any indication, the HF may be a good value. And since Porter owns the competition, it might be hard to find much difference between brands.
Delta was sold off to a chineese firm years ago.
The Unisaw is not the unisaw that we all knew years ago. Delta was in steep decline for years.

Many of the companies you mentioned are owned by Black and Decker / Stanley.
The porter cable brand used to be a quality name... Porter Cable is the low end copy of Dewalt now.
usually the same but lower quality/ features. lack of speed control, etc.

Hi Jeff
i believe the Porter Cable has a three year warranty. probably worth the extra hundred.

Is your son a hobbiest wood worker?

The old Rockwell’s are a very good saw ,especially the ones with a gear box for metal cutting. This probably won’t work for a Christmas gift unless you can find one locally.

If he is just learning either the Harbour Freight or Porter Cable will suffice . I’m sure he would be happy to have a bandsaw, especially if he doesn’t have one now.
Cheers
Martin
My old 14” HF bandsaw was used off CL $50. Granted it needed some TLC and a double belt reduction to cut metal. I’m not a wood guy. All parts for a Delta 14” fit the HF.

It’s all cast iron, no plastic and has done everything I want. I‘m cheap and don’t mind sweat equity to save over $1,000.

YMMV.

Last edited:
It seems like nearly every 14" bandsaw under $1500 is based on the Delta, so there is probably little difference between that Porter Cable and the HF saw, the extra $100 probably gets you a little nicer paint job and it doesn't say Central Machinery on it.

Of course not much on CL right now because that is how it goes, but wood bandsaws are one of those items I would be very reluctant to buy new unless I was splurging for something at the higher end. There are just so many decent quality 12-14" saws fairly cheap (tons of 12" Craftsman and 14" Delta knockoffs) for $100-400 and real vintage (1940-60s) Delta 14" saws in the $400-600 range vs nearly $500 for the HF saw once you factor in sales tax.

I was looking at older (1940s-50s) Delta saws, but ended up buying an old Davis and Wells, which seems to be a beast of a 14" saw but still in the project pile.

The next real step up from buying a new HF is a big jump to saws in the $1200-2000 range (Grizzly, Jet, Rikon etc).

How well equipped is he for tools in general? Jig saw, router, nice set of brad point drill bits or forstner bits? Not hard to spend $200-300 there for some quality. Is his wife still looking at getting him a lathe? A good set of wood turning tools could complement that gift nicely, and good ones are not cheap.

Walker Turner made a god old small saw. If you are serious about woodworking and need a bandsaw as much for resawing as scroll work, look larger. I don't know what room is available but an 18-20" saw is much more useful unless doing small stuff exclusively.

30" and 20" saws. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN3625.JPG
    DSCN3625.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3626.JPG
    DSCN3626.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 112
You guys bring up some very good points.
My son is a hobbyist wood worker. We picked up a 10” Craftsman carpenters saw. Sweet old saw but I had To put a motor in it so the cost goes up.
I built a $100 6x48 belt sander for him, stayed under $500.

I built a 1950’s Delta 14” , metal -wood from the ground up. Nice saw! and it will out live me. It’s mine.

My son’s girl friend wants to buy him a band saw for Christmas. Not a used Delta that his dad has to rebuild.

These cheap Chinese band saws have their place. I hope.
He can always sell it.
They sure do have good reviews, look how many of us have HF horizontal band saws.

You guys bring up some very good points.
My son is a hobbyist wood worker. We picked up a 10” Craftsman carpenters saw. Sweet old saw but I had To put a motor in it so the cost goes up.
I built a $100 6x48 belt sander for him, stayed under $500.

I built a 1950’s Delta 14” , metal -wood from the ground up. Nice saw! and it will out live me. It’s mine.

My son’s girl friend wants to buy him a band saw for Christmas. Not a used Delta that his dad has to rebuild.

These cheap Chinese band saws have their place. I hope.
He can always sell it.
They sure do have good reviews, look how many of us have HF horizontal band saws.

I've found woodworking definitely has one thing in common with metal working. When somebody comes in looking to spend $400 on a tool, you will get lots of $4000 suggestions. ;)

I've been playing with wood since I was a kid, some of my earliest memories are helping my dad make stuff when I was probably 5 or 6. He has never had anything more than handheld power tools, and until I was a teenager he still occasionally used the old hand powered Yankee drills, bit and brace and egg beater style hand drills. He had this old metal bodied Craftsman electric drill, a sabre saw (jigsaw) and an old Craftsman circular saw. Of course now he has replaced most with cordless power tools.
I started out with much of the same, some handtools, a circular saw, drill and an orbital sander. About 20 years ago my wife was working at a hardware store so I took advantage of her employee discount and sales (they added the discount on top of the sale price) and set myself up with a small portable wood shop, 10" Craftsman table saw, 9" Delta bandsaw, a small Craftsman scroll saw, and an 8" Craftsman drill press. About 9 years ago I added a Rigid miter saw. None of these are "high quality" machines but they do the job. I'm not making high end custom furniture, I've been able to build shelves, work benches, toys for my kids etc.

Anyway I guess a long winded way of saying we can't all start with Hardinge. I'm sure he will be quite happy with a HF or PC bandsaw, my 9" bandsaw has proved adequate for 20 years.

I've found woodworking definitely has one thing in common with metal working. When somebody comes in looking to spend $400 on a tool, you will get lots of $4000 suggestions. ;)

I've been playing with wood since I was a kid, some of my earliest memories are helping my dad make stuff when I was probably 5 or 6. He has never had anything more than handheld power tools, and until I was a teenager he still occasionally used the old hand powered Yankee drills, bit and brace and egg beater style hand drills. He had this old metal bodied Craftsman electric drill, a sabre saw (jigsaw) and an old Craftsman circular saw. Of course now he has replaced most with cordless power tools.
I started out with much of the same, some handtools, a circular saw, drill and an orbital sander. About 20 years ago my wife was working at a hardware store so I took advantage of her employee discount and sales (they added the discount on top of the sale price) and set myself up with a small portable wood shop, 10" Craftsman table saw, 9" Delta bandsaw, a small Craftsman scroll saw, and an 8" Craftsman drill press. About 9 years ago I added a Rigid miter saw. None of these are "high quality" machines but they do the job. I'm not making high end custom furniture, I've been able to build shelves, work benches, toys for my kids etc.

Anyway I guess a long winded way of saying we can't all start with Hardinge. I'm sure he will be quite happy with a HF or PC bandsaw, my 9" bandsaw has proved adequate for 20 years.
And as I’ve seen often said here “ a good carpenter doesn’t blame his tools.” :cool:

Fair points. Girlfriends buying tools is different than Dad's buying stuff. Bandsaws are simple machines so it is all about frame strength and how well the wheels are true. Your best bet might be buying whatever looks best to you and spending a little time dialing it in. Weights on the upper wheel, a decent 92 1/2" blade, fiddle with the guide bearings and set the guide post parallel to the blade and you will make the machine cut out of the box much better. Do all of this if you like the girlfriend as she will get the credit. Dave

Back