1440 lathe tools suggestions

Dhal22

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It's time for me to start acquiring tools for my 1440 size lathe. I've got 3 tool holders, the lathe has 8" 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I assume carbide tips for beginners are best?

I build radio control airplanes so a lot of work will be small.

Let me look around for photos of what I have.

IMG-8042.jpg

IMG-8872.jpgIMG-8831.jpgIMG-8042.jpg

IMG-8872.jpg

IMG-8831.jpg

Double photos, sorry about that.

I sent you a DM via "Conversations" - hope it helps.

I see Jim recommended 5C collet chuck. You should have a look at the attached first - I prefer ER40 but there are trade offs to consider.

Attachments

• About R8 ER and 5C Collets.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
So far as holders are concerned, I'd get several more plain holders, a vee notched holder for boring bars and a morse taper holder for drilling. The parting tool shown in the holder is not the proper height for the holder, it needs to be taller. I have collets for both my lathes, but they are odd ball types that came with the lathes; I would choose 5C collets for a lathe, as they are so common and can be be bought at reasonable prices, and they fit all sorts of other tooling fixtures. I have never liked insert tools for threading, they break all too easily and are not cheap. Aloris makes a HSS threading tool and holder that sharpens only on top, lasts for many years, and is adjustable for helix angle and comes in different pitch ranges plus acme pitches, I use them for all my threading jobs unless there are a lot of parts, then I use a die head such as a geometric or J&L.

I see Jim recommended 5C collet chuck. You should have a look at the attached first - I prefer ER40 but there are trade offs to consider.

My mill that is still not set up is a R8 shank, any cross over value ER40 vs 5C?

My mill that is still not set up is a R8 shank, any cross over value ER40 vs 5C?
I don’t think you can easily use a er40 or 5c collet in a mill with standard common tooling.

I like 5c because you can use them in indexing fixtures and spindexers then move them to mills and drill presses. Also I use a lot of Id collets and step collets plus dead length collets when you need them. I also use a lot of emergency 5c collets. You can bore a 5c step collet to hold a 2 inch disk that is only .125 thick with ease. Also if you have a lever collet closer you can load parts in seconds.
Jimsehr

Back