1440 lathe tools suggestions

What size is your post ? I have some CXAs here that can go as soon as I get up to speed .

In general ER40 is quite large, I typically use an ER 32 for my mill. when needed as a tool holder, although I do have an ER40 holder for both mill and lathe. There are fundamental differences between ER collets and 5C, but in your application I would think 5C would be preferred. ER collets collapse at both ends, as such they need to hold material along at least 3/4 of the collet length, 5C only clamps at the tip so can hold very short stock (I have held as short as 0.1"). ER collets havea far greater collapsible range, typically 1 mm increments where a 5C is much less and typically requires a 1/64th increment set to cover the full clamping range. The 5C clamping area is much shorter so you can also fit threaded screws through it, I often need to shorten a thread or turn down the threads, doesn't work with ER collets. For smalls I prefer the 5C and use a speed handle on the chuck, alternative would be a collet closure. ER40 I relegate to larger odd size material, where the additional clamping range comes in handy. I have used my ER40 collets on my full size mill for some 1" cutters, but otherwise I find it too cumbersome on the mill and prefer my ER32.

Last edited:
I've got 5C for my collet chuck, spin indexer, collet blocks and tool & cutter grinder. It is my go to for small work. But you need a very large set of collets because they have very limited clamping range. I have an ER40 collet chuck. I will use it when I don't have a 5C collet the correct size. I think the work needs to go deeper into an ER collet than a 5C. That got proven one day on our CNC router when the operator decided to get a little more depth from a tool and it got thrown across the shop @ 16,000 rpm, ER32. I have an R8 to ER40 for my mill. About the only time I use it is for large shank (over 3/4") tooling. I'm pretty sure the ER40 collets have more grip than a 5C but the 5C has always served me well. (except when I've done something stupid!)

yep, a bunch of ER32 (mostly use on the Mill) and large collection of 5C that I tend to use mostly on the Lathe.
I have ER32 as well that I use with the mill... but had to go with ER40 on the G0709 lathe... So another set of collects for that one...

I ordered an ER32 collect chuck for my Logan... could not resist... at least I get to use the collects that I have... so it was just the cost of the chuck...

I copied my GP BXA tool holders and made a half dozen, soon as I can get to walking without lookin' like a walmartian
I'll make a half dozen more, gotta love the pre- set tooling..........................
Coming back from my bout with Covid is goin on ten months now but I am winning !!!.................. :eagerness:

I'll have to take a look.
The Aloris-like tool holders you posted photos of are CXA size - I know that by the numbering stamped on the toolholders: "250-302" is a CXA boring bar holder (the 302 is the give-away).

5C is great if you are consistently dealing with nominally-sized materials. As soon as you deviate from nominal (16ths, 32nds, etc.) you'll struggle to hold onto the material since the clamping range is so small. I work with a lot of metric-sized tools and bar stock, and also need to clamp onto the threaded-end of a nominally sized imperial fastener, and much prefer the wider clamping range of the ER40 and ER32 system. The choice between the two systems is not black and white.

Back