1440 & taper attachment

vahpr

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a taper attachment (of any make) to any current 1440 other than the 1440 GT? I'm guessing there would be necessary mods to the machine but don't know if this is even possible.

Thanks!

Grizzly has them and I would assume others also. I'm sure any mods would be simple.

Chuck

I have installed one on a RML-1640 and considered one for my 1340, the same models fits a range of lathes in the same series RML (13, 14 and 16 inch). There are no particular machine mods needed other than switching out some parts and getting everything aligned. There is a final pinning which required drilling two dowel holes for mounting dowel pins to allow the taper attachment to be removed or installed and maintain alignment. The bigger models are quite heavy and awkward and having a second person helps when mounting it.

Attachments

• SB1263 TAPER ATTACHMENT.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
Thanks mksj, I've read a bunch of your posts here on this, vfd's, general other stuff, you're very helpful!

I was reviewing the SB1269 manual before seeing your post, (similar to the SB1263 but 14" & 16" lathes only), also looking at the Grizzly models, which are about 1/3 the cost of the SB units. They also look similar, with the different models corresponding to different lathe sizes as with the SB.

I guess it would be good to know whether the 1440BV carriage has any bolt holes in the rear for attachment. Come to think of it a photo of the back side would be useful. I hope I can make it work, that particular lathe meets some other needs/wants pretty well.

I have installed one on a RML-1640 and considered one for my 1340, the same models fits a range of lathes in the same series RML (13, 14 and 16 inch). There are no particular machine mods needed other than switching out some parts and getting everything aligned. There is a final pinning which required drilling two dowel holes for mounting dowel pins to allow the taper attachment to be removed or installed and maintain alignment. The bigger models are quite heavy and awkward and having a second person helps when mounting it.

For many Asian 14x40's it doesn't end with just the rear mounting taper slide attachment itself. A different cross bed lead screw nut assembly is also sometimes required in order to disengage & relinquish control to the slider mechanism. Different lathes do this differently. There are posts about this here on the forum.

I have seen a parts breakdown document on (I believe) Grizzly that illustrates all the components. Back in the day they wanted you to specify this taper cutting requirement up front. I'm not saying you can't retrofit a non-taper lathe, but plug-n-play might not be as straightforward option depending on the vintage. That's one nice thing about a lot of the newer offshore lathes now, many come with this mounted.

Thanks for your reply pertertha, I'd suspected this could be a problem. There are at least 2 ways which deal with the cross slide nut that I know of and I don't know if either can be used with a PM 1440E/BV/GS

I know Grizzly (which, reading the manuals looks fairly involved to install), Eisen & several Jet models (which are way more than I want to spend) have TA's but the PM lathes have other nice features at a better price, really tough to beat I think.

I'll keep researching, but as I think many here have found, this lathe purchase thing is tough!!

For many Asian 14x40's it doesn't end with just the rear mounting taper slide attachment itself. A different cross bed lead screw nut assembly is also sometimes required in order to disengage & relinquish control to the slider mechanism. Different lathes do this differently. There are posts about this here on the forum.

I have seen a parts breakdown document on (I believe) Grizzly that illustrates all the components. Back in the day they wanted you to specify this taper cutting requirement up front. I'm not saying you can't retrofit a non-taper lathe, but plug-n-play might not be as straightforward option depending on the vintage. That's one nice thing about a lot of the newer offshore lathes now, many come with this mounted.

I would go directly to the horse's mouth and call Matt at PM, or send him an email
Mark

Back