1440GT Arrival

+1 to what Mr. Lane states above. ALWAYS pull it out, carry it with you. Even if it causes it to be misplaced like I'm always doing, it beats the devil out of the ramifications of flying chuck keys, be it on a lathe or drill press.

The 1440GT style is really perfect in my biased opinion. I was staring at mine the other night (with an Adult beverage in hand) making a mental list and then writing it down of what all I need to do to my '98 used one.
I really have not had any major show stoppers since I brought it into my shop (5) years ago. (knock on wood...)
I am so glad that my Honey (SWKB) jabbed me in the ribs at auction whispering 'Get it, Get it'.

Which reminds, I need to get my arse in gear and start populating that thread I started for consolidating info regarding mods for used 1440G's improvements.

I love your shop! + on the chuck key.
Having a similar size lathe and always having things sitting on top like a couple of mics, deburring tools ,center drills etc I knocked up a couple of holders to keep the keys close at hand but out of the way. Makes life that bit easier.

Chuck Key Holders.JPG

Fixed, I reached in and removed the chuck key. ;)

1440GT.jpg

Nice lathe BTW and I see you used the factory supplied leveling feet, do they work OK.

David

Last edited:
Yea, you have to be careful with the Safety Police around here. ;)

Lathe looks real good!

No excuse for the chuck key as I know better. It would have really sucked to get the electric hooked up to it and turn it on with the key in.

No issues or concerns. The manual that Quality machine includes is an absolute blessing compared to the factory manual. Overall satisfaction is excellent; will be working with it on a daily basis so will advise as I get some hours on it. Will be time for an oil change within the week!

Back