1440's type - informational thread -Post Yours here

New member here,Anyone have any experience with a Yam 1440 lathe? made in taiwan, I want to thank everyone one for the Great imfo on this forum

Does a 1340 count?

DSCN1438.JPG

Definitely needs some TLC, part of the gap flew off on the freeway bringing it home :oops:
It'll be and adventure for sure but an awful nice trade up from the 6" Craftsman I had....

John

I have a modern c0636 I'll get around to posting a picture one day. It is a Chinese made 1440 with all gear head. I can still get parts for it, it is about 5 years old. I'm not in a rush to get it working right now, I have 2 other lates to rebuild!

Hello! I can't find a thread specifically for the 1340 but given what look to be the similarities I thought I'd ask here - being VERY new to using and running a lathe and having just acquired a Taiwanese version of a Victor 1340 (mine being a 1340GHE), I was hoping to track down ANY manuals for it. I need to fill the gear boxes - at this point I'm inclined to use Type 32 hydraulic oil as it looks compatible and I have a bunch of it for my press. Any advice or direction to appropriate threads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello! I can't find a thread specifically for the 1340 but given what look to be the similarities I thought I'd ask here - being VERY new to using and running a lathe and having just acquired a Taiwanese version of a Victor 1340 (mine being a 1340GHE), I was hoping to track down ANY manuals for it. I need to fill the gear boxes - at this point I'm inclined to use Type 32 hydraulic oil as it looks compatible and I have a bunch of it for my press. Any advice or direction to appropriate threads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You should always be safe to run ISO 68 oil in your gear boxes. I would be sure to buy one specified for gear oiling, since they come in flavors. It's a multipurpose oil. Hyspin 68, Tellus 68, Rando HD-68, DTE-26, HP-68 - they are all interchangeable oils with 68 centistokes viscosity at startup temp. I have yet to see a lathe that doesn't spec this stuff. Maybe some of the far-out hydraulic lathes out there that do more than splash lube with oil might spec a lighter oil for those exotic drive systems. But your run of the mill geared head lathe is going to spec some form of ISO 68.

You should always be safe to run ISO 68 oil in your gear boxes. I would be sure to buy one specified for gear oiling, since they come in flavors. It's a multipurpose oil. Hyspin 68, Tellus 68, Rando HD-68, DTE-26, HP-68 - they are all interchangeable oils with 68 centistokes viscosity at startup temp. I have yet to see a lathe that doesn't spec this stuff. Maybe some of the far-out hydraulic lathes out there that do more than splash lube with oil might spec a lighter oil for those exotic drive systems. But your run of the mill geared head lathe is going to spec some form of ISO 68.
thanks for the reply. I should clarify that i'm looking for headstock and gear box oils and from what I've seen of other similar machine's manuals - the 32 looks to be common in the headstock and the 68 common in the gear box and carriage. 68 used in the oil-ball locations too, does this sound correct?

Back