14amp DC motor surge work around?

MC-60 treadmill motor control boards are all over eBay in the $40 - $60 range.

I added a choke to the negative side of the motor and things got a whole lot better. I then changed the motor to a 18 amp motor and looks like it will work fine. I also believe that I need to find a 150k ohm pot for better linear motor control. Guess I'll order one and find out. "For the fun of it all!"

.20200329_172559.jpg

I hooked up a treadmill motor to a 6 inch lathe and used a variac transformer also called an auto transformer with a bridge rectifier
It works good variable speed and constant load no load speed
What ever your set up is it has to keep the voltage constant and the current changes for different loads
Maybe with a smaller lathe the torque will not be an issue

Glad you got it working- check the motor brushes are not too worn from all the arcing/sparking- if you can remove them that is
-M

The weight of the flywheel and the Chuck combined should give it a good inertia and constant speed.
I hooked up a treadmill motor to a 6 inch lathe and used a variac transformer also called an auto transformer with a bridge rectifier
It works good variable speed and constant load no load speed
What ever your set up is it has to keep the voltage constant and the current changes for different loads
Maybe with a smaller lathe the torque will not be an issue

That's a good idea "but" I'm trying to reduce the footprint size of the Atlas/Craftsman 618 lathe. It's going to be sold anyway when restoration is completed. Might be better to scrap the DC motor idea and go with the AC 1/3 hp motor to keep things original.

Reactions: Z2V
You have the parts so maybe give it a try like you say the set up may give you constant speed

I was able to find a treadmill power supply and used a 5K pot and it works quite well. I don't have any problems with either power supply as they both work good. I haven't put either one to use on my lathe and just have been tinkering around with both.

20200404_193537.jpg

Just a note of caution ... on the MC60 the three leads to the 5K pot are at nearly 115 volts AC above ground. Be sure to insulate the pot terminals!

Back