14x40 Lathe Improved Carriage Lock

On my lathe the tail stock alignment is adjusted in the base, but is preserved by the notch sliding along the V rail. One can take the tail stock right off for that matter.

The 'fromage' clamp is this part. IMO basically insufficient clamping area footprint, so it needs to be enlarged. Also mine is ill-fitting. The recess notches are narrower than the underside rails they clamp on so a) reduces clamping area even more b) sometimes when you glide the tail stock it can partially rotate & catches c) it needs a thread double nut so the cam action is preserved. This has been discussed in other posts, its a common design wart.

I was half thinking of gluing on something grippy but oil proof brake pad type material to the clamp surface. But then of course I would lick my fingers as I always do, injest asbestos & get a horrible tongue disease LOL. I think metal on metal is fine if it just had more contact area. What happens is when I drill bigger holes (more axial force) the tail stock backs up because I like to keep a film of way oil that kind of acts against it. Just need to find an appropriate chunk of metal. Stay tuned.

2018-06-23_10-33-04.jpg

2018-06-23_10-33-50.jpg

Back