14X54 American Pacemaker

Very nice work Mac! Boy, I really like that color more and more. Thanks for the update.

Well the bearings that I needed for the compound rest did show up and I got it all put back together and installed. The compound caused me the most headaches and frustration on this whole lathe. I had 2 bad bearings and because one of them had seized, it could not be disassembled as it was put together. After about 3 days of just looking at it I decided that I had to take the bearing apart in place. This meant using a Dremmel tool with a stone to grind a radius in both the inner and outer races so that I could remove the balls which gave me enough wiggle room to get the shaft out.

It's all back together now so I can move on. I got the chuck disassembled and cleaned up. It's a 10" Union3-jaw with-piece jaws. It's old but it looks to be in good shape. I should get it back together and mounted tomorrow.

#131.JPG #132.JPG #133.JPG

... Just want to say I've been enjoying your thread. Thanks for taking the time for documenting it...

I'd love to have a piece of beef like that. Machines like that are magical and I still miss the 15-54 Leblond I grew-up on.

Good luck with your machine!

Ray

Thanks all, I'm glad you are enjoying this.

My last post is from yesterday that I didn't hit the submit button on till tonight.

Today I got the chuck back together and mounted back on the spindle. I will work on getting the tool post all cleaned and lubed at lunch tomorrow. All that remains to be done is fill all the reservoirs with the proper oil, connect some sparktricity to the lathe and let it run.

Tomorrow could be the day I have waiting for.

#134.JPG #135.JPG

I think we are all waiting to see it run!!! Great job. Your shop is looks inviting by the way, nice looking equipment!

David

Mac,

There is some serious machinery in that last picture! You truly are "One very lucky, happy bastard"! :congratulations:

Steve

I have 2 more machines to get the "Freshen up" treatment once this lathe is up and running but I will be taking my time on them. I like to take my time but I need this lathe up an running for a job so that's why I got it done in 7 weeks.

The SB shaper will most likely be my next victim and that will probably be a 7-8 month project.

I got oil in it, I got power to it, I got no joy.

The controls and motor were wired for 440 VAC so I have a little bit more work to do. I have to rewire the control transformer, replace a blown fuse, and rewire the motor for 220 VAC.

I will be out of town this weekend so I guess it will be sometime next week before I can make chips with this lathe.

OK, the wait is over. I got the electric hooked up and had a few little hiccoughs but I got through them resolved and the lathe is up an running. I won't elaborate on the 3 stupid little things I neglected in my excitement but needless to day, I corrected my mistakes.

This lathe is a beast. The first cut I took was at .060" DOC and it didn't even grunt. The next pass I took at .180" and it still didn't notice that it was doing any work. The last test cut that I took tonight was at .220" DOC and the lathe kind of knew it was doing a little work but it sure didn't complain any.

I have been waiting for a long time to get this lathe in service and now that it is ready to go to work, I can't wait to get started on the project that prompted me to finally get this lathe up and running.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, that's a piece of 3" 4140 in the chuck.

#139.JPG #140.JPG #141.JPG

That's a nice machine! We need a video to hear her run!

David

Back