15" Gorton Rotab

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
Needed this like a hole in the head but couldn't pass it up!

I really like the t-slots for clamping odd stuff down and the height is low enough to save valuable space under the spindle. The drawback is that it's too heavy for me to lift by myself. Turns smooth as glass though, will need to locate a handle with a 3/8" square hole.

20160417_171626.jpg 20160417_171802.jpg 20160417_171652.jpg 20160417_171639.jpg

Well i have looked at this thread and that Gorton a few times now.
But i only get to hit the like button once...

I have a hydraulic lift table that I use for this type of thing, I just have to lower the mill table enough to even them out. I normally use a 9" Troyke that weighs about 70 pounds, no problem carrying that one around.

For your handle end you might try the female end of a short 3/8" extension bar -as used with a ratchet and sockets. Cut and weld to suit.

I built a three shelf cart and put steel wheels scavenged off of a dumpster under her.
A 3/8" scrap of plywood helps sliding and protects my RT.
Lower the table to just below or above the shelf height for transfer of the RT and/or DH.
Seems I found other items to put on the other shelves.
Used an engine hoist to load the cart.

Daryl
MN

Also,
Square broaches are pricey! Of course you can buy them, or better yet make one!
If you can find a 3/8" drive socket (old school non-plated might be best), cut the nut end off and weld it to a bar, or shop made bone handle.
Or, drill/ream the center of a a disc out and press the 3/8inch drive into place, add a little red lock-tight if needed.
If you want to get real fancy you can knurl the perimeter, and add a crank handle.

Daryl
MN

Nice table. In this case bigger IS better. You never think you need a table that big but the first project I did with it used ever inch of it. I know what you mean about weight. I have a 12" Yausa that weighs 147 pounds. I have a cart on casters that I use. I plan on getting a hydraulic lift from Horrible Freight but not there yet.

Back