15" LeBlond taper attachment

Here's the parts assembled and ready to install. I can see something is missing or not quite right. Stay tuned for my queries when its on the lathe.

View attachment 305709View attachment 305710
This taper attachment is identical in design with the one on my 19" Regal, I have the parts book and could compare; what do you think is missing? One thing I see, or rather don't see is the slotted bar that is attached to the cross slide and is used to lock out the lost motion in the screw/nut.

Yes, I'm not seeing how to lock the taper when not in use, then release it for making a taper. Must be a couple missing parts.

There is also TWO slides on the taper travel, one is the normal adjustable taper. the other one, below this, is right in line with the X travel. I can see no use of it. It is all bound up and will take grinding work to free it. I do not think it was ever used. I'll take pics on the machine to explain further.

I will be asking for a sketch or pic of any other parts I need to fabricate. I know I need to make a clamp to the bed for when the taper attachment is in use.

I tried to respond to this, but something went astray, will try again tomorrow

here are pictures of mine (19") If you give me your e mail address, I could scan and send the catalog page (do by private message)

Attachments

• taper attachment 001.JPG
    taper attachment 001.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
  • taper attachment 002.JPG
    taper attachment 002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • taper attachment 003.JPG
    taper attachment 003.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • taper attachment 004.JPG
    taper attachment 004.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • taper attachment 005.JPG
    taper attachment 005.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
  • taper attachment 006.JPG
    taper attachment 006.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
Ok, here's the attachment all installed on the lathe. Ended up being quite the millwright job. It only assembled in a certain sequence and then something would bind. take it down - polish - re-install.

I am 75% done with the holding block on the end, then this little project is complete.

Taper installed.jpg

I need the exact same part.... wonder if there is a common mistake that causes this piece to break? I only dicovered it was broke when I torn it down to replace the cross slide screw and nut. While I was there I also repaired the feed reversing lever and engagement lever. repairs.jpg

My new lathe is a complete 15" LeBlond Regal. It has a fully funtioning taper attachment and manual. If you need pics or anything, let me know.

Back