15" LeBlond taper attachment

I can see this is a weak point in the system. It takes the full force in the X direction and is long and thin. Castings don't take tension forces well and it's long and thin here. My new part was made of 4140 tool steel, easily 10X the tension strength.

Now, I wish I'd taken a few extra minutes to draw up a dimensioned part, Could have saved you a bunch of time.

I can see this is a weak point in the system. It takes the full force in the X direction and is long and thin. Castings don't take tension forces well and it's long and thin here. My new part was made of 4140 tool steel, easily 10X the tension strength.

Now, I wish I'd taken a few extra minutes to draw up a dimensioned part, Could have saved you a bunch of time.
Yes I got a buddy at work who loves to do fusion drawings. I think I have a piece of 4140 I can make the base from. I don't think it's big enough to get that round boss and the base in one go. I'll look at it again. One question on the spindle I have a bar with holes and a groove on the spindle, does yours look like this?

Attachments

• 20191219_192227.jpg
    20191219_192227.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I'm out of town at the moment, but, yep, looks just like mine IIRC.

Locating the two 1/4x20 tapped holes was the most difficult part of the measuring. The taper was 2 degrees. I made the taper last and left it 5 thou narrow. Then test fit my way in by making a 2 thou cut and checking fit, repeat.

I'm start a thread on the part I'm talking about. I've done some research and it's pretty in depth.

Back