$150 South Bend 9B

Yes, in comparison to some it is relatively clean. Just the residue of sitting unloved on a dirt floor.

The new wicks arrived yesterday, and I will be taking apart the headstock probably this weekend to get that all sorted.

Where does one go to find deals like this? Asking for a friend

My father was a bit of a gun nut, and every weekend he hit any and all garage sales that looked like they might be interesting. It didn't work every time, but over the years he found a lot of interesting stuff: Civil War rifles, vintage British stalking rifles, WWI 1911, and so on (I couldn't tell you everything, as I don't know what all.)

The trick is to Always Be Looking, that and carry cash.

Garage sale shopping sounds like a hobby in its own right.

I've got alerts set on craigslist for things like lathes and mills, I picked up this SB 9A a few months ago but I paid quite a bit more than what you got yours for. I gotta figure the crazy deals mostly happen at garage or estate sales, I guess that's where I'll look in the future!

Congrats on the find
Image_20221026_160706_779.jpeg

I picked up this SB 9A a few months ago but I paid quite a bit more than what you got yours for.
A Model A is slightly more desirable than a Model B, hence the higher cost. A Model B or C are good candidates for an ELS conversion.

Started to clean up the head stock:

Here it is on my bench, but decided to stop working on it, as I am going on vacation next week and I don't want to lose anymore parts. This doen't usually happen to me, but I cannot find the clamps for this. I am sure I put them someplace super logical, but I am sure that I won't find them until I do not need them. So, I bought these:

Going through the lathe and cleaning while fixing the few issues that I have found, I realized that, while I thought I misplaced them, my lathe did not come to me with headstock clamp pads, #14 in this picture:

I ordered some on eBay, but no matter how I tried to explain to the seller, he could not give me a good measurement of the distance across the machined surfaces. So, what I got were, of course, too wide for my vintage of 9". And I have not found another pair that I think might work.

My lathe had the headstock clamped against the through holes, which I don't think is great as it could lead to a cracked bed. At this point my plan is to use a friends mill (hi Provincial!) and shorten these two to the correct dimensions. I can't think of any reason not to do it this way, but if someone has a different idea, I would love to hear it.

EDIT: It looks like I can get these cleaned up enough with my little Unimat, so I should be good to go here pretty quick. I think that they aren't the wrong size so much as bunged up enough to hinder things.

Last edited:
Please continue with your postings here Aaron, and provide lots of photos! My first lathe was a 9C, so I have a soft spot for machines like yours. I made many a part with it, most of which I still have and use. As long as the bed is good, you have a great machine there.

Going through the lathe and cleaning while fixing the few issues that I have found, I realized that, while I thought I misplaced them, my lathe did not come to me with headstock clamp pads, #14 in this picture:

I ordered some on eBay, but no matter how I tried to explain to the seller, he could not give me a good measurement of the distance across the machined surfaces. So, what I got were, of course, too wide for my vintage of 9". And I have not found another pair that I think might work.

My lathe had the headstock clamped against the through holes, which I don't think is great as it could lead to a cracked bed. At this point my plan is to use a friends mill (hi Provincial!) and shorten these two to the correct dimensions. I can't think of any reason not to do it this way, but if someone has a different idea, I would love to hear it.

EDIT: It looks like I can get these cleaned up enough with my little Unimat, so I should be good to go here pretty quick. I think that they aren't the wrong size so much as bunged up enough to hinder things.
When you say clamped against the through holes, do you mean like this?
IMG_3476.JPG
This is my 1947 South Bend 9A. Curious if that was how things were done that year or if I just happen to be missing the same parts.

Never owned another so I have nothing to compare it to.

When you say clamped against the through holes, do you mean like this?
View attachment 444125
This is my 1947 South Bend 9A. Curious if that was how things were done that year or if I just happen to be missing the same parts.

Never owned another so I have nothing to compare it to.
Yes, that is exactly how mine was. My concern was that compressing the bed like that could crack the cast iron. But it appears to be standard, as yours is exactly the same: same cap screws, same mounting points, etc. Also, mine is a 1947 9B

Back