15x8 South Bend lathe

Tobias2017

Registered
Registered
I have what is I believe an unusual South Bend lathe. 15” swing (it measures 7 1/2” from center of spindle to top of ways) 8’ bed, gap bed with bridge installed. Model 37-e (model 137 with gap bed?) Serial number 22481, so made in 1921-22. The lathe is using a geared 4 speed electric motor from Lima for drive.
The lathe has had little recent use, and has been in a wood shop for the last 30 ish years. I have managed to dig up a fair amount of the parts for it including two 3-jaw chucks, a 4 jaw chuck, a steady rest, a follow rest and a few other bits I am not sure what are yet. The lathe seams mostly complete, except the change gears and change gear studs. I am hoping these turn up. Does anyone know if these 15” lathes used the same change gears as other more common models? I am trying to get a feel for what I am in for if I liberate it from the wood shop and get it spinning metal again in terms of locating parts, etc.

37988F9F-7391-4077-9A81-EA6EEF98E495.jpeg

94AB892A-5859-4641-9D4E-04325542E175.jpeg

596B23E1-F532-4458-BB7C-DC3BA2312A6B.jpeg

5F155D7B-3080-4897-9441-14CD9D815A7A.jpeg

The cross feed screw is also missing. I've never seen a South Bend with the carriage wheel on the right.

The cross feed screw is also missing. I've never seen a South Bend with the carriage wheel on the right.
Yes, I have found a fitted a cross slide screw since those pictures, so the cross slide is operational!
All the controls are transposed on the apron so that the carriage can be run over the gap when the bridge is removed.

That motor looks huge. It looks like it could run the entire shop.

I guess that would explain that. I didn't notice the gap until I looked closer.

So I have gotten the go ahead to move this lathe out of the wood shop area into another area of the building where I am setting up some metal working tools. It frees up space for the wood guys and I can put this lathe back to some use so win/win. My initial plan after I move it is to go through it enough to make sure it is functioning properly, and getting lubrication where it needs it. From there I plan to use it, and make upgrades, tweaks, improvements, etc. as needed and as I learn about the machine. So my initial question is wether the ilion book and felt kits for 16” lathes would be useful for a lathe of this era (1920). I think the books/felts are more geared towards later years.

Your 15" looks very similar to my grandpa's 16" that I'm hoping to eventually pull out of the storage unit and get it running as well.

I don't know if I'll tear into it as much as I did the Sheldon, but with the looks of the pictures and the fact that its been in storage for some time it'll need some work regardless. When I finally get the thing moved I'll probably be bugging you for information (with work and "life" it might be a little bit). When I was researching these early gap-bed lathes I came across only spotty information at best. There is a guy on another site (practical machinist) who has a 1930 (?) version and has a post about rebuilding his apron.
Don't know if he is involved on this site (hope so!) maybe he could have some pointers as well.

Here is a bit more info for the inquiring minds.

gap.JPG

Attachments

• south bend lathes cat_79jr.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Is that one of the motors with the transmission built in? I almost bought an ATW lathe that was converted using one, but it looked more like two sections bolted together.

94AB892A-5859-4641-9D4E-04325542E175.jpeg

Is that one of the motors with the transmission built in? I almost bought an ATW lathe that was converted using one, but it looked more like two sections bolted together.
Yes it’s a Lima electric motor, 4 speed. I’ll need to change the oil in it. Seems like a pretty well done conversion. The belt slips a lot right now so a new belt is also needed

Back