15x8 South Bend lathe

Yep, Lima is the name I was trying to remember.

Those are cool. I almost picked up an ATW lathe with one, but the seller decided not to sell. It drove a cone pulley, so you had use of the gears, and pulley, giving it 12 possible speeds (had a 3 step pulley). Yours does look to be done better. The ATW looked all cobbled together. Look forward to more pics of yours.

So I have moved the 15” South Bend and given it a good clean up. One thing I have found is that the lantern tool post is damaged, probably due to using it to prop against for wood turning. Anyway I have been thinking of replacing it with a quick change tool post but I am unsure what size to get. It looks like my 15” is at the upper end of the BXA and lower range of the CXA. The top of the compound rest to center of spindle is 2 1/16”. Anyone have this size lathe Have experience with this?

Attachments

• 769987A4-9FC4-40D7-8D33-CEB8548F10D5.jpeg
    769987A4-9FC4-40D7-8D33-CEB8548F10D5.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 22
Thank you. I was leaning towards the CXA but don’t have the experience to be sure.

BXA would be too small , CA too big . CXA is the Goldielocks ! :)

I use a B on my 15" SB, but made a shim plate to go under it raising it up on center better. Works very well and since it's pinned in place to the holder I don't even realize it's there.

Ted

What are those slots on the top of the carriage for? Follow rest? I have always wondered
Mark

I use a B on my 15" SB, but made a shim plate to go under it raising it up on center better. Works very well and since it's pinned in place to the holder I don't even realize it's there.

Ted
Is the any advantage to the smaller shimmed bxa over the cxa? Besides initial cost and tool holders, which is an advantage to be sure. I am probably getting and import, so once a bxa is set up and shimmed, as good as a cxa?

Back