1640hd Has Arrived

Yes it is a beefy machine. From factory to them took 2 and a half weeks or so. Once they had it, it was delivered 2 weeks later.

Yea it is just cosmetic the back splash was bent, and the tail stop lock handle was broke off, the motor vent cover was bent up. But Matt is taking cake of all of it so I am not worried. The chucks came this evening and I believe I'm going to have to install a dedicated crane over the lathe to switch them out.

Yea it is just cosmetic the back splash was bent, and the tail stop lock handle was broke off, the motor vent cover was bent up. But Matt is taking cake of all of it so I am not worried. The chucks came this evening and I believe I'm going to have to install a dedicated crane over the lathe to switch them out.

Sounds familiar. I got one of the last 1340s of a particular shipment, and had to take one that had a single phase motor. Matt threw in a 3-phase onto the crate, but it showed up with a smushed up fan cover, so he promptly replaced the motor. My back splash was tweaked a bit but I fixed that myself, and I had some paint missing in a few spots. No broken levers though. Not surprised Matt is taking care of that for you. The man has been really good to deal with on the few issues I've had with things (a power feed is the latest).

And while I love looking at, and even driving a lathe such as yours, I have no idea what I'd do with it as it's way more machine that I would ever need.

Your comment about installing a crane for the chucks is one example of this, in that I have enough strength still to lug around a 8" PBA set-tru when I have to, but wouldn't want to consider anything larger. Now if like you, I was making money with my machines I might have to reconsider all that though. :D

Yea Matt has been pretty good to deal with. I honestly can't really think of anything to complain about.
I would love to have a smaller machine to play around with and do some smaller work on. But my Dilemma is buying a 1340gt when the cast iron bases arrive or finding a old cincinatti hydrashift. Either way it'll be a while before I can swing anything else.
Actually the 3 jaw chuck I was able to lift and install by myself no problem. I would say 100lbs ish the 4 jaw said 120 on the box it's 12" the 3 jaw is 10" so there's a little difference there.

Actually the 3 jaw chuck I was able to lift and install by myself no problem. I would say 100lbs ish the 4 jaw said 120 on the box it's 12" the 3 jaw is 10" so there's a little difference there.

I've done a few overhead lifts for some "elderly" friends who have trouble with chucks as small as 6" . I would definitely consider one on anything over 8".

Yea Matt has been pretty good to deal with. I honestly can't really think of anything to complain about.
I would love to have a smaller machine to play around with and do some smaller work on. But my Dilemma is buying a 1340gt when the cast iron bases arrive or finding a old cincinatti hydrashift. Either way it'll be a while before I can swing anything else.

I can still lift about 150 lbs or so, but it's the leaning over and getting it on the spindle without damaging anything (or me) that would concern me.

Oh, and I'm all over that new cast iron base for my 1340. Just as soon as Matt says he has them in stock. With that my little lathe will be more than a match for anything I'm going to be throwing at it. :)

Yea I spoke to Matt about the bases he said it could be July or it could be September just depends. Weight was about an extra 600lbs. Price was to be 6-700 as of now( don't quote me on this) but that paired with the 1340 seems like an awesome combo.
As for the lift there will be one in the new addition once completed. That's where all the machines will be going.

I may have to design up a small lift that mounts on the lathe itself for later when I can no longer pick up my chucks safely. Probably wait for the cast iron stands before I do that though.

And yea, these new cast iron stands will really make these 1340s the cat's meow so to speak in this size range. Can't wait. :)

Probably going to put a job crane Inbetween the lathe and mill.
I'm looking forward to seeing your machine with them based on it I'm going to be drooling all over it.

Weight was about an extra 600lbs. Price was to be 6-700 as of now( don't quote me on this) ...
Seems like a killer deal to me. Wonder if I can plant my G0709 on top of one... probably not long enough... drat!

Someone want to measure distance outside distance between the feet of the 1236 bed for me?

Large chucks is a downside of a machine the size of the OP. I hate picking up 10 and 12" chucks. A 5 or 6" chuck is so much more convenient.

Last edited:
Back