1640hd Has Arrived

For a large lathe there is no law preventing you from mounting a smaller chuck on the appropriate back plate to keep the weight to a manageable scale. Keep that 12 inch for the big jobs, use a 6 inch for the rest.
Just a thought.

Thanks guys. I have pondered getting a 8" 4 jaw combination for 75% of what we do the other being cylinder work or big pins or shafts. I like the idea of a combination 4 jaw in a 12" to keep from having to swap out chucks, but at almost 3k that's a little to rich for my blood.

The machine is still on the pallet but the urge got the best of me so I wired it up and let her run a while at each speed. Then made a few light cuts.
image.jpeg

Surface finish was great that was about a .150 pass just to try and clean it up some.

It's about .007 out from start to finish over a 6 inch span. Probably just because it's sitting on the pallet and not leveled or anything. Runs great that was 1500 rpm or so with a iscar tnmg insert.

Thanks guys. I have pondered getting a 8" 4 jaw combination for 75% of what we do the other being cylinder work or big pins or shafts. I like the idea of a combination 4 jaw in a 12" to keep from having to swap out chucks, but at almost 3k that's a little to rich for my blood.

Yikes! I thought my PBA was spendy. :eek:

But you know...If you're making money with the lathe, what's another $3k? (wink...wink)

Hey one day.:D I thought pba made a combination but all I can find is oil field combination chucks. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

What's the diameter of that piece you just turned? And what material? Just curious.

Back